1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Getting A/C to work??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
ldiablo233
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting A/C to work??

So I discharged all of w/e was in there and tried filling it up. Now my guage is old so it may be messed up but when I start to fill it or fill it to Full level and turn the A/c On the car will periodically "surge", drop RPM's and the rad fan will kick on for a second. Now I barely had any refrigerant come out of the bottle and I believe seeing the A/c take more then a can so I'm not sure how to fill the A/c system and whats causing the "surge". It doesn't do it if I disconnect the plug from the A/C tube/box going into the firewall. Anyone know whats causing the surge and why its saying its full(not necessarily full, but in full PSI rating) when I haven't put much in(although I stop adding because of the surge)?

I guess it would help if someone told me how to properly recharge the system.
I can use the leak detect stuff if need be but need to figure out these problems first??

Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that "surge"you are referring to is prolly the compressor kicking on and off. it will do that when it is low on refrigerant. i would try to put some more refrigerant in and it should work fine. the fans kick on so the car doesn't overheat i believe they are wired to the ac switch

Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 AM
ldiablo233
Professional

O ok, I thought the A?C blew out whatever was in the lines whether it be refrigerant or in this case, air. Is it normal that my RPMs are at like 600 when this happens? I do have a fan removed but otherwise I wouldn't know why its dropping so low?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

the a/c causes a big drag on a motor so yeah 600 could be about normal i dont have a rpm gauge or else i would go check

Old 07-03-2009, 05:39 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

I had this happen to me because the system was overcharged, although you said you drained everything in the system there could be a buildup of the oils in the system.
what I sugest is removing one of the lines and either use a shop vac to suck the lines out or, using an air compresser to blow the lines out. WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES. then pump down the system to purge all air from the system and then recharge. Although I like doing all my own work, this one may have to be done by a pro to ensure that it is done properly.
On another note 600RPM's seems way low to me if anything 8 to 900RPM's is normal.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
ldiablo233
Professional

Well it seems that it will start to fill, the PSI level will rise to full just under the alert line, then it seems the refrigerant stops pumping into the lines or something. Does it take a long time for the stuff to go into the system? Also should I fill it car on, car off, A/C on full(off/on?)?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

engine running and AC on full blast.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 AM
ldiablo233
Professional

ok ,cause it seems its not filling up anymore. Not something that's so important to spend 40 bucks getting done, but would be nice to have.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

yeah a/c is a tricky thing sometimes you actually have to pay someone to do it...and i hate spendin money

Quick Reply: Getting A/C to work??