1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine Bog

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:56 PM
shapeshifter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bog

Hi,

New at fuel injection but know engines quite well.

Just bought a 98 Neon SOHC ATX as parts car for my 96 MTX.

Turns out, 98 is in great mechanical condition compared to my 96. Want to drive the 98 cause road test shows chassis in great shape.

98 was bought because wouldn't start for the guy and looked to be good parts car at the very least. Got it running but has for a very nasty bog from the engine in park or neutral. Hard to pick up revs in park or neutral but once in a while it can definately do it. Runs like a carb engine with a shot accelerator pump. Bog, bog, bog. When I take it out to the road, though, much better in gear. Throw it in drive and go. Can catch like 140 Kph, no problem. Have no idea where to begin. Thinking throttle body area? Engine also has slight surge at idle and way too high idle when A/C is turned on. I know how the 96 runs and this is not it at all. Have no code reader. Never will.

If someone can help me here, I have a great driver car while I fix up the 96. It can't be too serious but serious enough for me to join this forum and consult the pros. You folks know what's up with this thing. Some of you can probably fix it while blindfolded.

I appreciate your time,
Thanx in advance

Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

first place i would start would be a differential copmression test. some other places to look would the IAC valve PCV and its a good idea to take it to a parts store and see if theyll scan the PCM for codes

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the CEL is lit, do this:
To read any codes on your neon, put the key in the ignition and cycle it to ACC on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds. As the CEL flashes, count the number of flashes. This represents the code. An example would be flash-flash-flash-flash, pause, flash-flash-flash, which would be a Code 43, single or multiple cylinder misfire. A list of codes can be found here... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/general...d-engines.html

Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
shapeshifter
Default Thank You!

Thank you for the info!

I'm sorry but I haven't been at a PC for a few days. I shall flash the codes now.

Will post back as soon as possible.

One more thing: How do I erase all codes so thyat what I see is only what is recent? Disconnect battery or what?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
ldiablo233
Professional

Disconnect battery for 5-10 minutes. You can also disconnect the fuel pump fuse with it to make sure. The codes may not appear again for a few days/50-80 miles though.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
shapeshifter

Thank You

I have dine the battery thing with my 96 after an engine burp and got rid of the light.

Did this (battery disconnect) with the 98 and light is on immediately, which is cool cause it will tell me what the problem(s) are.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
shapeshifter
Default Still Kicking

Thanx, everyone.

Have only rare access to a PC so thanks for the patience.

Okay, since last we parted......

I read the codes as per your posts. It indicated code 24 which was TPS. Installed known to be good TPS from the 96 and same problem so swapped back again. As far as the air control motor or whatever, who knows? The chamber in there on the 96 was just clogged with carbon. This one on the 98 was sparkling clean throughout that area. They were slightly different from year to year so couldn't swap them. Still a slight surge at idle and what seems to be quite a large jump in idle speed when the A/C is turned on. Didn't swap the PCV though yet.

Any ideas?

Also, should clarify that the "bog" I originally posted about is, apparently the rev limiter. Pulls okay in drive, but sluggish out of the hole until some good revs are there. I have now driven it for a few miles more and am feeling like the torque converter could be stuck in lock. Feels like that. Can't feel a lock when I even out and can't feel a drop out of lock when I accelerate from an even highway speed. ??????? Where is the lockup switch? Is it a vaccuum unit like old chevys had such that I could unhook it to try?

Thanks again and I will be checking back tomorrow at the latest. I love Neons, even the resurrected ones like mine.

Randy

Quick Reply: Engine Bog