1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

built 2.4L turbo wont run right at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built 2.4L turbo wont run right at all

you guys have been helpin me alot with this turbo 2.4 swap and i appreciate it. but my car will idle somewhat ok with a slight misfire. as soon as you give it gas its almost like its starving for gas before it even gets into boost. i can drive it i just have to be real easy on the throttle ive learned the perfect spot where it seems to run ok enough to drive. it has a brand new headgasket new plugs its like maybe one tooth off of timing at the crank when the cams point at eachother and im running 24 pound injectors i have 2.0 cams and cam magnet is set right at 90 and the coil wires are wired like they should be. i dont understand why its not running like it should. possibly a fried coil pack? i kno the fuel supply is sufficient. i just dont know what else to look for. one tooth off wont make it act like this right? its actually not even a full tooth off like half to 3/4 of a tooth off.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Do you have a AFR meter?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 AM
justinsanders
Captain

just a narrowband. i dont have it hooked up right now tho.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a map clamp?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
sabin420
Captain

One tooth off is around 8-12 degrees off timing. 4-5 degrees is pretty extreme. so, yes...that deffinitely could be your problem...for N/A engines, it's best to have the intake and exhaust overlap slightly letting you rob some compression from the exhaust. for a turbo, that can actually hurt driveability and performance concidering you got back pressure from the exhaust and boost from the intake pushing against each other. Also, I hope you are not trying to use a non-turbo MAP sensor. one of those seeing even slight boost will make it go haywire.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
justinsanders
Captain

well im using the stock map sensor but i do have a map clamp wired to wire number 36 and wire 42. and yea its actuall about a half a tooth off. when the cams are aligned the crank is about a half a tooth forward (clockwise) to the right. but im using the 2.0 cams and stock cam gears that are flipped around to the 2.4L side and i though when cylinder 1 is at tdc the intake cam gear is supposed to be upside downand the exhaust be right side up. but mine is the other way around. is it 180 degrees off? it runs tho will it still run 180 degrees off?

in the pic the crank is at about a half a degree forward is the intake cam supposed to be upside down?

Last edited by justinsanders; 07-27-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
sabin420
Captain

check compression and yes it will run w/ both cams 180 degrees off if the wires to the coil are flipped too.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your cams being off like they are is no issue at all.
what kind of map clamp is it?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
justinsanders
Captain

i retimed to almost perfect. but i beleive its a hahn racecraft clamp but im not too sure thats just what i was told. but i cant go over 1/4 throttle even before it starts boosting or even before it starts spooling for that matter. im thinking its a fuel problem but not too sure it seems like it just simply doesn't get enough fuel but im running the walbro fuel pump stock 49 psi with 24lb injectors. i dont see y it wouldnt get sufficient fuel tho. im thinkin maybe one of them are slightly clogged or somethin but not too sure cuz it idles perfectly and accelerates smoothly if i find the sweet spot in the throttle if i give it any more it will hesitate like lack of fuel.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM
justinsanders
Captain

the more i think about it the more i realize that its prolly a fuel issue so i think im just gonna go rising rate. i really dont wanna go through all that trouble. i figured i would be fine with either 58 psi or 24lb injectors either way it still dont run right. i really dont see how rising rate fuel pressure will help but its worth a try at this point. also what is the pressure at the rail when you do the spool boy mod. also do i use my stock injectors or 24 lb.

Quick Reply: built 2.4L turbo wont run right at all