1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

timing and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Heavy_D508
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing and other problems

sup guys been a while since i been here, well my water pump went out, and took the timing, but the timing still good but shredded up, also i see that there is a hydraulic tensioner, do i have to replace that part or can i just leave it? its a SOHC with 180k with the stock head gasket as well, but the good thing is about the neon, water pump and timing is only 80 bucks.

also i keep getting check engine light coming on, saying i have a misfire, i change my plugs, wires, coil pack, radiator, battery, but i still have the original 02 sensors, original cat, this problem only happens on cold start ups that the car is a really big time having trouble to start, and it takes about 1-2min to start, and there is getting fuel, its like if something happen, but once it starts every thing is fine, but ill make a video once i get my parts and answers.

thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

with 180k on it its probably time to break down and buy the timing kit which came with the new belt, tensioner, etc... its worth the extra cash... with that many miles the parts may be good but do you really want to take that risk?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Heavy_D508
Rookie

well i put a new water pump, timing belt, and tensioner pulley, and the hydraulic tensioner is still good, but when i spun the motor by hand to make sure there will be no piston slap, i notice the belt moved in towards the motor on the water pump area, and every thing else is fine, where the water pump is at, looks like the belt is almost touching the back plastic guard, any one know why could be that?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

there should be a tiny lip on the backside of the pulley (engine side) that will keep the belt from working its way to far back... but the plastic is there to also help keep the belt in place....

Quick Reply: timing and other problems