1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Manual Transmission + shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gear lube is to thick for the neon trans. That sounds like a shifter, or shift linkage issue. Shifting the trans while out of the car will do nothing to it. It really really sounds like the cable needs adjusted.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The Castrol Gear Oil is the same viscosity as the Mopar MTX fluid. 75W-90.

I found out that Mopar fluid is GL-5 rated and Castrol exceeds that rating.

I also found out that the Mopar fluid is full synthetic, and so is the Castrol.

Therefore, I doubt the fluid is the problem. While I am at it, I will check the linkages to see what adjustments I can make. If that is all it is, Wonderful! But I would still like to know what position the tranny is in for gears 1-5 and reverse with the Crossover position defined as well just to be on the sure side.

The damn battery box, PCM, and other wires make it hard to view it without removing it, otherwise it would take someone about 1 minute to tell me.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Default Found it! The crossover cable was disconnected!

When I went in to adjust the crossover cable as suggested, I removed the cover and found that the crossover bushing had popped off the connector pin on the shifter! YEA!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! Simple problem!!!!!

So, I popped it back on, loosened the bolt, did the adjustment per the book, and drove that sucker all over the neighboorhood!

Just as I said, weird problem. My best guess is that it was just about on the verge of popping off when and I put it into reverse to get it out of my garage, it went into reverse THEN come off the rest of the way. I checked it out, and the bushing looked to be OK, so who knows how long it had been that way.

I don't care! I drove it to work today!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

The gear oil is not likely your issue. I used AMSoil 75w 90 for over a year (street and racing) and no issues with either trans. Sold my 3.55 for 3.94.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
sjsjbb

just a thought i have a honda 5 speed when i rebult it cause 5th gear went i put in that type gear oil and the tranny seized up i read that the gear oil was to heavy a weight. might want to ask dealer what weight to use.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Default The Problem is solved. It was a disconnected cross-over cable at the shifter.

We no longer have any problems here guys! I found the problem. The crossover cable got disconnected at the shifter. Once I connected it, life was good. I am driving the car and do not have any problems at all.

It is strange that the cable popped off just after I backed out of the garage, and at some point I may need to replace the bushing (if it ever pops off again) but since I never checked it since I have had it, who knows how long it was like that.

But, this is a good post for someone who may have a similar problem down the road. Car not going into the proper gear? No reverse or proper 1st gear? Check to see if the crossover cable is connected at the shifter. If disconnected, check the bushing to see if it needs replacing and reconnect when ready/replaced. Problem solved.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:48 PM
BransonScott

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
Got a really strange one. Did not know this could happen. The Haynes manual nor the Dodge Service manual even cover this one - at all.

When I was rebuilding my engine, we took out the whole shebang and separated the two. While we were removing the output shaft seals to replace them, I inadvertantly bumped the selector shaft lever and "changed" the gear it was in. I then tried to shift it back to where it was and did not think much about it at the time.

We put it all back together, and for whatever reason, I was able to put the car into reverse and drive out of the garage. I then put it into neutral and made some quick checks to see if there were any leaks, etc. and when I got back in, it would not go into reverse - when I put the gear shift where reverse should be - it would still go forward.

I decided I did not need reverse to drive around the neighborhood, so I pushed the car into the yard so that I could drive out forward and did so. I noticed that first gear was NOT first gear, but I could get the car to go, so I did. As I drove around the neighborhood, what should have been 3rd gear was downshifting instead.

OK, how do I get the shifter and the MT tranny back in synch? I don't believe there is any damage, but by now, I don't assume anything about this car anymore. FYI, the clutch is new, it shifts fine - no shuddering, grabbing, slipping, etc. It worked just fine before I tore it down the 2nd time, it just seems to be out of synch with the shifter, and nothing in either manual says how to put it back. What do they do when they rebuild a tranny? How do they put it back in synch?

I notice that the selector lever moves three clicks forward or back, and the crossover lever will move back and forward only - but I cannot figure out how to get 1st to be 1st, etc. HELP!!!!
Adjust cable under console.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission + shifting problem