1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Defroster-No air-new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Nomax1300
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defroster-No air-new owner

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post, I am livelong GM owner, recently bought my first Mopar, a 1997 Neon Sport-4 dr with a 5-speed, Deep Amythiyst pearl color. I love the car, very happy with it. I am fully converted now, to the dark Chrysler side. I am having a problem with defroster, no air is coming out of the vent on the dash. I am thinking that the cable to divert the blower air has broke? Has anyone else had this problem? and how do you fix it. The girl that owned the car before me did not take very good car of it. Any help with be most welcomed. Also any help with changing the timing belt would be most welcome too, it has 150,000 miles on it and never been changed, next project.

Thank you in advance

Jim

Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
neisg1
Veteran

I had the same problem on my 1995 Neon, turned out to be a broken plastic part in the dash control. Dodge sells this only as a complete unit so the wrecker may be the place to look.

Timing belt see this link. Also, pick up a Hayns manual.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/diy-do-...udsterier.html

You should also replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner pulley at the same time. I also recommend using standard blue locktite on all of the bolts under the timing cover as you do not want these to come loose.

You also need the proper puller to remove the crankshaft pulley.

Last edited by neisg1; 09-21-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Nomax1300

Thank you for your help, I got it fixed! I took the dash off and located the
cable that opens and closes the flap and it was bent and needed greased and it is good to go now. Next task is the timing belt!!!

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Go to Autozone and get the Chrysler Harmonic Puller they loan out. You will have to pay a $60 ~ $90 deposit for it, but it is WELL worth the money and you get it back. You will have to cut a short 1/2 to 3/4 inch piece off of a bolt to add a short distance shim to the tool (you need a bolt that will fit easily inside the tool where the rod goes, but it needs to be a fairly strong bolt too. This keeps the tool from bottoming out while removing the pulley.

Go to Ebay and find Item Number 260474430546 (assuming you have a SOHC and not a DOHC engine) and you can get both a water pump and timing belt kit for $80.10. I used Mizumo Auto for my rebuild kit, and they are a good bunch of folks to work/deal with.

As for putting it all back together, you can get a fairly cheap tool from Miller SPX tools. I will post the particular part number and price later. You can have it shipped to you for about $30. Makes it VERY easy to put it back on - no beating banging, etc.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the puller, you can also just put in a small screw driver socket into the hole on the puller instead of using a bolt.

Btw, welcome to the Mopar family!

Quick Reply: Defroster-No air-new owner