1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Travisd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

hello, i have a quick question, I bought a TE04H turbo, i looked up the model # up on the net, it says it is off a 2.2 dodge engine, i was just wondering, if the Exhaust bolt holes on the 2.2 are the same as a 2.0 dohc or if they are way off, the exhaust holes line up with a sohc, cause i have a spare in the garage, but my dohc is still in the car, if someone knows the answer to it please let me know.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:02 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: turbo question

they dont match. not to mention, the dohc has oval exhaust ports while the sohc has round.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Travisd

Im not talking about 2.0 dohc and sohc im talking about a 2.2 and a 2.0 dohc, all the exhaust outlets on the manifold are all in the right places, dead on, but the bolt holes are different from the manifold of the turbo, than the head on the sohc engine, are the bolt patterns on the sohc and the dohc different, is so, is the 2.0 and 2.4 dohc the same as 2.2 bolt pattern, but i really doubt it, but i just want to know, i dont care about ones oval and ones round. thats all i want to know.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 AM
casper
Legend

Nice try, lol. You have 3 basic choices, chill factory, hahns, or custom manifold. There are others, but those are the top 3.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 AM
Travisd

thank you casper, thats all i wanted to know, lol. i went to the daytona forum, asked if anyone wanted a turbo.lol.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 AM
casper
Legend

You can make the turbo work, but its not for the novice.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Travisd

i was going to use it if it would fit, but i read on the net, it didnt really perform all that well at higher rpm, said had good low torque, but sucked on top end on a neon. so i think im just going to beg my wife to let me get a 2.4 at the local junk yard for $800 and buy a high performance engine kit from howell automotive, build an all motor car, cause the car is more of a show car, than a race car cause my wife is pregnant and bitches about me speeding, but i did smoke a dynasty the other day, lol.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 AM
casper
Legend

If you get the 2.4 and put it in, I would suggest a SRT-4 turbo.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah if its more of a show car than race, the turbo will be better off for the show purposes anyways.

my bad on the 2.2, i was thinking of the 2.2 sohc, not 2.2 dohc. im pretty sure their exhaust bolt hole locations are different tho.

and yup, that turbo is a bit small for a neon in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Travisd

yeah, but the high performance kit from howell automotive is only like, $2100.00, and a good turbo and intercooler will run around $3-5 grand so, im just going cheap but good performance, plus my dad is a machanic, so i dont have to take it to an engine shop to have it done, so ill save some money that way, but if it was up to me I would go all out, but my wife and i got a baby on the way, so i quess there goes my car budget,lol. when she came home from the doctor and told me, my first words were, "i quess my car is finished," lol. but I own 3 neons, so im going to try and sell 2 of them so i can finsih my 98.

Quick Reply: turbo question