1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon 1998: Engine light on due to radiator fan not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
neonpaul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon 1998: Engine light on due to radiator fan not coming on

I have a Dodge Neon 1998 2dr, 2 lt, DOHC, 5 speed with no air.
My engine light has come on with trouble engine code 12 and 35!
It is in relation to the "electronic relay circuit" to turn on the radiator fan when it's hot.

My radiator fan doesn't come on however my temperature gage is reading well showing the change in temperature to the point where it reads max and the radiator fans fails to come one.

I have replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the fan relay circuit switch with no luck. Engine light is still on and fan will not start. I have connected the fan directly to the battery and its good turning with lots of power. So that can't be it!

I'm wondering if the problem is with the PCM?

How do I no if its not the wires? How can I test the wires with a meter to know if I’m getting continuity and the right power to the relay switch?

How can I test the PCM to determine if that is the problem?

Please help

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
zilfer22
Amateur
Default lol same problem

i have had the same problem with my 95 neon sohc atx and could figure out the problem so i just got a cheap switch from advanced auto parts and wired it so i coule just turn it on whenever i wanted to my fan never comes on and the gauge never goes above half so i just run the fan while im driving no problems so far.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 AM
jradams350

I hate to ask, but are you the original owner of the car, or did you buy it from someone else? I ask becuase there was a recall on the Radiator Fan Relay that is in the PDC (power Distribution Center) under the hood.

I am currently looking at the recall / TSB (Technical Service bulletin) and it does state that the relay or relays could go bad and not turn on the fans.

Of course I would inspect the wiring around the Relay as well to see if there is an open in it, or it is shorting to ground somewhere before it gets to the Relay that is mounted close to the Radiator on the left frame rail.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
neonpaul

Thanks guys for your help!

Regarding the radiator fan being operated manually, I may have to resort doing that but wanted to check to see if I could fix it first.

The 1998 neon doesn't have a fan relay in the power distribution box but has only a fuse which I have checked to be good and power present going down the Gray wire to the electronic fan relay switch which I replaced.

By jumping the grey wire to the light green wire in the socket which goes into the electronic relay switch, will turn on the radiator fan. So I know there is current going to the electronic relay switch but still can't figure why it's not coming on automatically?

Can I get it emition tested in Toronto Canada with the light on?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 98's have a fan relay but its under the battery tray screwed into the frame. Its like $40 at Autozone.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
1998neonrtstock

did u check ur fuses i had same thing happen and i just had a blown fuse under the hood so check first if u aint

Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
neonpaul

Yes, the fuse is fine
Tnx

Quick Reply: Neon 1998: Engine light on due to radiator fan not coming on