1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 AM
mike yeager
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys i ....i have a 1995 neon with the same problem. the timing belt went on it while drive on the ferrway....i changed the engine and tranny because a friend ahd one out of a 1996... thought i might have bent valves...after installing the engine and tranny and swaping out the cam and crank sensors i was getting no spark.(still ) i just finished this about 2 hours ago...gave up for the night.. i have low voltage about 7 volts on the center coil wire an about 00.3 on either side i had problems getting the crank sensor in and had to tap the bottm corner in after i had already tightend it down.....?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
mike yeager

just wondering did you get your issue fixed?....if so how i have the same issue after swoping out my engine.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM
pcmediahost@gmail.com

Hey.. I dont know if this helps (as I am car illiterate).. but I had similar issues.. and with the help from reading this forum.. and tinkering around.. I was able to figure it out. Our issue was with the PDC.. The relays were good.. but it was the actual plug in where the relay plugs into the PDC. We ran a wire straight from the positive battery terminal and alligator clipped it to the underside and inside the ASR outlet. And for us it started right up.. and seens to not be draining the battery when off.
Again I dont know if this helps.. but if does please say so.. So I can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. .. If you think this will cause harm.. please let me know as well. So I can cringe and wonder when I am gonna start smelling smoke.

Last edited by pcmediahost@gmail.com; 02-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Ozzie8336

I've got a no spark problem also only my coil wires all pulse is that normal?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM
lizzy007
Default dodge 1996 neon

what is that wire with cap on the end behind battery connected to fire wall?? what does the cap go on??

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 AM
buffalo123
Default hope to find problem

hello i have a 96 chrysler neon or dodge same difference but i have a problem with the car. i just bought it a little while ago and wat is happening is the car turns over but just wont fire up. its standard, n i have changed the starter thinking the fly wheel was torn n wasnt catching but still same problem. ive changed the plugs, and when i did each plug was covered in oil all half way up the plug, also changed oil. now went to try start still same problem, now fuel pump does work but i cant understand when it wont fire. a buddy of mine said timing could be off but idk. would like solutions on how i can get it running again. it also has a msd ignition n wire set, n stage one racing clutch n cold air intake just to give some sec's on the car.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Dodgeneon97
Default Dodge no start

Check copacitor that is on the cylinder head driver side behind cam sensor. If not right it will not boost the voltage high enough when cranking/running. The power wire that goes to the coil pack powers several things so when cranking/running it gets drained of power.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 PM
zacharyx7x

I had a similar situation; let me explain: Friend of my niece tows a 2000 neon with a broken timing belt to my house. We change the belt timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and find a newer head at buddie's garage. He pressure tests it and gives it to us complete with camshaft, camshaft timing adjuster magnetic disc(sometimes called interrupter) and camshaft sensor. Put it all together enough to try and start and no spark. To compress this story we troubleshot everything we could think of including most of everything mentioned in this thread. Removed camshaft sensor and had spark and rough idle. Went back to buddies garage and retrieved original magnetic timing adjuster disc and put on and had spark with original cam sensor, but rough idle. For giggles got new disc and tried and had no spark again.
I got on the dodge forum and found one blurb about there being different discs for certain years and they had posted a picture of the two types of discs and they looked exactly like the two types that I had.
We finished putting the car back together including reassembly of the air intake, and car ran fine. By the way the rough idle was caused by the air intake hose being disconnected. I know that this is probably not your issue, but it may help somebody else who is wondering why their new head is causing no spark.
By the way, a BIG THANK YOU to all here who post their problems and solutions so that all us shade tree mechanics can benefit

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM
zacharyx7x

Attached Thumbnails 96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start-cam_magnets.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM
zacharyx7x

Old head (from 2000 neon) disc style is on the right newer style is on the left

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start