1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Shifter shifts but nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
asbel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter shifts but nothing happens

When I came back out of Stewarts tonight, my car started up fine and i went to shift it out of park and the shifter moved fine, almost like it wasn't connected to anything. It would not shift out of park, So im thinking great there goes my tranny. But i did some reading and i thought it might be the shifter bushings.

My question is does anyone know how i can take apart the console around the shifter to see if it is the bushings on the shifter side, or if anyone knows where the shifter bushings are on the other end.

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 1997 SOHC, A/T, about 218k miles

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
asbel
Rookie

fixed!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Great! Enlighten the masses as to what you found and what you did!

Strange problems are the best ones to document as it happens more often then not, and lord knows that when they do, it is a booger trying to resolve it when no one has heard of or seen such a thing.

I had mine when my 5 speed MTX crossover cable popped loose inside the cabin at the shifter AFTER I backed out of the garage to go for a test run. It took me 2 days of beating my head against a wall before I finally decided to go ahead and do a crossover cable re-adjustment (even though I thought there was no reason too) and took the console apart. There, I found the popped off bushing on the crossover adjuster, put it back on, did the adjustment anyway, and no problems since!

Quick Reply: Shifter shifts but nothing happens