1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

heyqwell

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
tallhamer88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heyqwell

well im a noob. from Delaware.. I have built a honda del sol so i bought a neon for my daily driver. But always wanted a r/t neon.. never seen a 4 door one till i bought it.

Just bought a 1998 neon r/t which hasnt been on the road in a year. Fixing some of the body work, new calipers, rotors, full tune up and so on.

Have a few questions..

where the cd changer usually at i see it says i have one on the cd player?
and does your trunk leak i pulled the stuff out of the trunk and the donut area was full of water? any ideas. Im thinking PO left trunk open in rain and just shut it.

Also radio worked great got home turned the car off turned it back on radio wont work anymore..short maybe?

Last edited by tallhamer88; 10-13-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the first generation Neon section,
FF

Old 10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
tallhamer88

thanks.

Check engine light came on 5min down the road shugs. Imma have to run the code. But for some info this car hasnt been driven in a year. Im going to fix some of the body work and clean it up really good.

Attached Thumbnails heyqwell-neon.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

My car leaks in the trunk so bad that I can leave it out in the rain for 1 day and it will have 3 inches in the bottom!

The 1st gen Neons are notorious for leaking! Mainly two places - around the rear tailight covers, and in the lip at the top of the trunk lid behind the trunk rubber seal and just under the rear window where there is a seam of "caulk" that is supposed to seal it, but when it cracks, it leaks like all hell!

The first one is easy. Replace the taillight cover foam gaskets and/or put some silicone around them too.

The second is not hard, just put some silicone over the old window seal caulk to prevent water from getting in.

In my case, neither of them worked. So, I am going to take out my rear seat and crawl inside the trunk with a worklight to see where it is coming in. I tried the pouring water around the lid with the lid open, but it did not leak that way - of course not - so I have to do it the hard way. BUT, since it leaks so much just sitting still, it should not take long to find it......

Hope your job is easier then mine and quickly fixed! Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not many neons came with a cd changer, but most had the controls on the radio

Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

Minus the front bumper, looks good man. Welcome. just in case you didn't know, you can check your engine code by doing the following with the ignition switch.

turn the switch from on-off-on-off-on (might have to do it a little more, my Neon's are picky and one only needs to be switched on and off 2 times and the others need it more) and then look at the check engine light and it should start to blink.

Count how many times it blinks and each number is seperated by a long pause (like Morse code)

Blink pause blink blink = 12, blink blink blink blink blink pause blink blink blink blink blink = 55

12 and 55 don't need to worry about. 12 just states that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 key cycles and the 55 just means there are no more error codes.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
tallhamer88

Car came with that kit.Im just trying to clean it up and make it look nice and fix things from rusting so i can driver it everyday and leave my honda in the garage.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i love the wings west body kit...especially on 4 door neons

Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
tallhamer88

thanks for your help. Im going out to scew with the car later on today. Once i get the kit on better and fix some small things on it, i will take some good pictures and show it off.