1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Cranks but won't start and a code 54!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:38 AM
1slowNeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but won't start and a code 54!!

I bought the 95 Neon and just installed a new head, water pump, timing belt, and all new gaskets. I got the car running great and drove 2 miles down the road and it quit. It cranks over strong but won't start. I have tested fuel psi, tested the injectors for pulse, tested spark, had the control module tested, checked timing, removed the valve cover and inspected the camshaft and no luck. I pulled it for codes and got a Code 54 No camshaft position sensor signal from distributor, problem with distributor synchronization circuit. I have power going to the harness and so tried replacing the camshaft sensor and also the camshaft magnet and still no luck. I have the car sold to a friend so I really need to get it running again. Any ideas what else it could be. Yes I have done a ton of searching but unable to get any clear answers or explanations.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you can get the "P" code?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 AM
1slowNeon

I do believe its the PO341 code its the one for the camshaft sensor signal. But I replaced teh canshaft sensor, the magnet, have power going to the harness.. It turns over strong but will not fire. I drove it maybe 5 min and just died. Yes the timing is perfect since I already checked it and it does have fuel and spark.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 AM
das2123
Legend

Try swapping the ASD relay with the horn relay and see if it works. Also, turn the engine with the cam sensor off and see if the cam is also turning (or take off the valve cover). You may have sheared off the cam locating pin. Cam gear bolts must be torqued to 85 ft. lbs.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 AM
1slowNeon

Originally Posted by das2123
Try swapping the ASD relay with the horn relay and see if it works. Also, turn the engine with the cam sensor off and see if the cam is also turning (or take off the valve cover). You may have sheared off the cam locating pin. Cam gear bolts must be torqued to 85 ft. lbs.
I am afraid ur right I pulled the valve cover off and cranked it over and noticed that the rockers are not moving as the car is being cranked over. I just hope no valves got bent and I coudl get away with replacing the camshaft.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 AM
1slowNeon

Thanks for the help and info.. I did find the problem after removing the timing cover and you were right about the cam locating pin it was sheared off. I pulled everything off and got the cam replaced... So hopefully it will be back together running again good in the next day or 2.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 AM
das2123
Legend

Glad you found the problem. Keep us updated.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
1slowNeon

Just an update I pulled the timing apart again and replaced the camshaft then torqued the cam gear to proper spec, got it back together and the car fired right up and runs great. I was afraid that when I sheared the cam locating pin I may have bent the valves but they were fine. If it wasnt for just buying a house and needing to pay off afew things I would keep it for myself as a daily driver but it will probably be going to a good home tomorrow. I have a friend who really wants it so hopefully she takes it.

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't start and a code 54!!