1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Dodge neon Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM
SHANKS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge neon Project

I have a 96 dodge neon 5 speed coupe SOHC stock.
tomorrow i pick up a cold air intake and maybe get my exhaust if the guys in.
my question for my project is what would be better to stay wit a SOHC or swap to a DOHC, and should i do the power steering del as well as the A/C.

I wanted to also put a turbo on it and the two turbos i have is a 14b off a eagle talon 93 tsi and a 20g turbo. if anyone has turboed there 96 neon which turbo size is best, iif i need to get it tuned where would i get it done, and where would i connect the in and out lines for the water and oil comin from the turbo. i been lookin around but i guess i havent found the right places for the info before i start.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

If your going turbo don't worry about swapping to DOHC for the lil bit you will gain in power its not worth the effort... the SOHC is a great lil motor and will make almost as much power as the dohc... as far as which turbo to run if your staying with stock internals go with whatever turbo is smaller... as with stock internals you won't be running much boost... if your planning to get it boosted then eventually to a low compression forged build then i would still say go with the smaller turbo but keep the bigger one for once the engine is built....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM
SHANKS

thanks for the help, the smaller one would be the 14b i believe which is the stock turbo from a eagle talon tsi or a mitsubishi turbo. i figure i would use the stock turbo and put the 20g turbo on the talon and work on it that way. is there a faq where it shows where to run the lines and if i need to get a tune where would i get one or buy it?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
SHANKS

i basically came to the conclusion that i could just use the parts from my eagle talon and use them on the neon. is there any car that has an interchangeable turbo head anyone know of or has to be one just for that engine

Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

no there is no interchangable turbo head either of the stock neon heads flow rather well DOHC a bit better then the SOHC... but either one suffers from small cam shafts the sohc a bit more then the dohc so deff consider after market cam... as far as exhaust the stock piping is 2 1/4 which even with a low boost turbo setup is enough (stock is also mandrel bent) so other then changing to a higher flowing muffler and maybe a high flow cat not much is needed in that department

Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 AM
SHANKS

Originally Posted by Altima_wb
no there is no interchangable turbo head either of the stock neon heads flow rather well DOHC a bit better then the SOHC... but either one suffers from small cam shafts the sohc a bit more then the dohc so deff consider after market cam... as far as exhaust the stock piping is 2 1/4 which even with a low boost turbo setup is enough (stock is also mandrel bent) so other then changing to a higher flowing muffler and maybe a high flow cat not much is needed in that department
Thanks alot for the help i think the turbo has 4 slot bolt on so i gotta find a header for that and i deff need to find out about how to tune it? Is it just a reflash or i have to buy a whole new ecu wit the tune on there. i found out what all i need just have to find them

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

tuning is a whole different area there is a ton of options... starting with the best option is a complete standalone system but its also the most expensive route and the most labour intensive... i've seen people go as simple as bigger injectors and something on the sort of an apexi SAFC... there is other ways search around on here and look for the turbo builds there a fair amount of them...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

A dohc neon head has been tried and true to be a better flowing head, producing more power in upper rpms where the sohc needs more work to shine. Comparing the list of modifications for a n/a sohc and a n/a dohc to run a 14 sec 1/4 makes it quite clear. The dohc head can do more with less. The tuning options for the dohc head are through the roof, having the intake and exhaust setting on two separate cam shafts.

The stock DSM turbo has a different mounting setup, and to adapt to a neon sohc is more work that it needs to be. Seeing as a most neon owners looking for a turbo setup, go after the stock srt turbofold. The turbo is built into the exhaust manifold, which bolts onto a dohc neon head. Cuts out the drama of finding a manifold, and a turbo. Cheaper too. I would personally getting lower comp pistons no matter what build you are planning on. Some new pistons rings would be wise, considering your engine is going to get a power increase. Increase power, you increase stress on the engine.

The Apexi SAFC is no good under boost. When the fuel demand increases under boost, the unit cannot adjust that way. A rising rate fuel pressure regulator is what you'll need. Getting the car tuned is a must if you want the car to run at it's best. Boost costs time and money. No getting around that.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

yeah the dohc flows better but going boosted he might as well just stick with the SOHC head and save the money to spend on the turbo setup where he will gain more honestly unless hes doing an all out turbo build going for max power the dohc swap really isn't worth the money...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

A turbo sohc neon does not compare with a turbo dohc. The very fact that a dohc head flows more, makes it a no brainer.

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge neon Project