1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil Leak.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM
gone broke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak.....

OK, after many complications with this new engine, I now have an unusual oil leak... The machine shop started my problems by installing 2.4l cams in my 2.0l without my approval. Once I figured that out and got it running my worries were fading. Well last night after the first test drive i noticed a HUGE oil spot. I started looking around the engine and found it squirting out the back of the block on to the tranny. It's right below the head, where the tranny and motor meet. I have not had a chance to investigate it further, just thought I would check in here first to see if you guys had any thoughts..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I have thoughts, but none are pleasant.

1) Since it is a HUGE oil spot, it is most likely a the rear seal gone bad. Is it a MTX or ATX tranny? If MTX, then your clutch is now coated with oil and will need replacing along with a new seal put in. If ATX, then you just need to replace the seal (and cleanup of course). If you see oil dripping out the bottom edge of the tranny cover (behind the oil pan), then there is your leak. Pull the tranny and do the deed.

2) Head gasket blown. You can easily check this with a compression check. I don't think this is it, but you need to check and it is very easy to do (and cheap).

3) Leaking around the camshaft seals. Again, I don't think so as the location you give is not where they are, but the machine shop may have not put in the proper seals and/or messed them up when changing them out.

4) Leaking around the valve cover gasket due to improper installation and/or reuse of an old gasket without using any sealant to assist.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
gone broke

None of those thoughts fit... the leak is coming from under the head and dripping onto the the top of the tranny, at the back of the block.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
gone broke

None of those thoughts fit... the leak is coming from under the head and dripping onto the the top of the tranny, at the back of the block.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

OK then, here is a worse thought and this thought makes some assumptions which may or may not be true in your case.

Since you said new engine, I assume that means rebuilt, which again I assume here you put on a new head gasket at some point.

It is possible that you got the head gasket on backwards and the most likely backwards way is upside down where all the holes are not lining up properly. I accidently did that myself once. Fortunately, I had not torqued the head down yet when I discovered it.

In any case, no matter what it may be. Since you are certain it is coming out from under the head, you are going to have to pull the head to find it. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
gone broke

Yea i called the shop that rebuilt it and they want it back... sucks i have to pull the engine again. At least they are covering 200.00 in labor.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM
gone broke

Thanks for all the input...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Default What was the verdict?

Did you find out what the actual problem was? If so, share it.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM
gone broke

I have to get the motor out. Hopefully it will be out today. I'm thinking the head gasket is bad but really wont know till I get it out. Maybe I will get lucky and find a small plug missing or something in the back..LOL, wouldn't that be nice..LOL

Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

dude you lucky at least the machine shop is willing to back up their work.. hopefully though its an easy fix deff keep us updated would like to know what failed... and if its a gasket it would be kinda cool to know the brand...

Quick Reply: Oil Leak.....