1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dohc aftermarket 10:5.1 Pistons in Sohc

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
96NeonJunk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dohc aftermarket 10:5.1 Pistons in Sohc

Hi guys theres a guy i know around me locally that has aftermarket pistons for 2.0 dohc, i know using dohc pistons in sohc brings compression ratio up to around 10:3.1....do think if i was to buy these pistons would i have any problems with piston to valve clearence? Guy is asking 300 obo for the pistons he has no more neons...just trieing to get the extra parts out of this garage. If my calculations are correct they should put a sohc into around 11:1.1....whats you guys senior neon guys intake? i know modern performance has high compression sohc 10:5.1 pistons w/ rings for 580 or something like that....any thoughts on the subject would be appercaited. doing to the all motor set-up...was trieing to go by Allpars' 180 hp reciepe.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
ottoretto
Professional

look u dont gonna have any problem with valve piston clearance, if u want, shave a bit the head, but if is sohc its hard get 180hp, i u have a few head, shave one and is more cheapp and do the same result!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
96NeonJunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by ottoretto
look u dont gonna have any problem with valve piston clearance, if u want, shave a bit the head, but if is sohc its hard get 180hp, i u have a few head, shave one and is more cheapp and do the same result!
with stock sohc block thats 9:8.1 compression, how much should i mill the head to achieve the 11:1....yea that is alot easier then pulling the motor 4 pistons.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Shaving the head is going to reduce your valve clearance that much more. Strongly recommend swapping to a dohc if you do not wanna spend A LOT of time and money working over the sohc head. Besides, after you pass the 150whp mark, the power is seriously peaky. Honda Peaky.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 AM
96NeonJunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Shaving the head is going to reduce your valve clearance that much more. Strongly recommend swapping to a dohc if you do not wanna spend A LOT of time and money working over the sohc head. Besides, after you pass the 150whp mark, the power is seriously peaky. Honda Peaky.

yea thats what i thought, and wanted to avoid too close piston to valve clearence...I still have the R/T so my next step after getting the rest of the stuff from you probably start on the R/T....150whp around here would be fine enough to stomp most hondas around my town...most of them are autos all rice'd up....lol, hows things coming along?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 96NeonJunk
yea thats what i thought, and wanted to avoid too close piston to valve clearence...I still have the R/T so my next step after getting the rest of the stuff from you probably start on the R/T....150whp around here would be fine enough to stomp most hondas around my town...most of them are autos all rice'd up....lol, hows things coming along?

Some do not mind having revving high, which can effect reliability depending on the condition of the engine. Upkeep is paramount in high power builds. Yesterday was quite the day for me. The neon I bought died at the gas station. Has a vac leak, due to the poor install of a 3.0L intake. The battery had was what killed it. Charge was very low. The kept me at the gas station for about 3 hours. Ultimately had to walk a mile with a hernia to buy a new battery. This kept me from getting back to the shop before they closed to get the head. Also spent the money I was going to use to get the head out and shipped. On the good side of things, the set of carbide bits I ordered came in, so the intake manifold can get be completed over the weekend. Will have some picture later this evening. Already have the valves, valve springs and retainers awaiting installation. The intake manifold throttle opening has been opened to about 56mm, but it needs to be 60mm. That gives you more options for upgrading, and less limitations. My brother made some suggestions of cutting the manifold mid-way through the runner, and porting the "hard to reach area. He's a certified welder. Then welding it back together when it completed. Same can be done for the dohc. Something to consider over the winter. The dohc intake manifold is easier to do, as it can unbolt in the plenium, giving a far greater accessibility. The aluminum sohc intake manifold has a better plenium design than the dohc, but is also has smaller runners and ports. The smaller ports aid in air velocity, but are a bit of a pain for high power setups. Best way to remedy the lack of torque is to swap to a dohc 2.4L setup, with big cam shafts.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Been working on changing the throttle neck of the dohc, with the throttle neck of the aluminum sohc. The size difference is huge! The sohc neck is roughly 25mm wider than the sohc. That is why many cut off the neck, and run a straight pipe. I want to run my iceman intake though, so that is not going to work. By cutting the dohc neck, you can replace it with the larger sohc throttle neck. The gains should be the same, and still keep stock appearance. Let me know when you are ready to get the r/t in gear. Truly anxious to see how this intake in the hp department!

Quick Reply: Dohc aftermarket 10:5.1 Pistons in Sohc