1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 AM
RednekCustomZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

i pulled my engine apart the other week and noticed that my rod was bent. i dont know how long its been bent for but im looking to get new ones now anyhow. could someone tell me somewhere to go to get new ones? i am doing a little bit of work to it also. im just going to go ahead and put stock ones in since i dont have the money for performance ones. and iv also heard that if you put dohc pistons in a sohc motor u get higher compressin like 10.3:1, is this true, if so ima do it. thanks

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

I would take then engine block to a shop to have check and honed. Not very costly, and good insurance. Also be sure to get new pistons rings. Very important. As far as rods, get them from a yard car, or off ebay. 2.0L rods are the same for sohc and dohc neons. Magnum neons have stronger rods, if you want to get a set for kicks. Using dohc pistons with an sohc cylinder head will increase your compression to roughly 10.3:1. Beats buying forged pistons for an n/a setup!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:03 AM
RednekCustomZ

i hear ya and thanks man. i already bought a good bit of stuff and when i went to start putting it back together i saw the rod was bent so ima go ahead and probably just get the pistons and rods off ebay. i already got a full engine rebuild for it. thanks again man

Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

just be careful with ebay brands... make sure its of a name you know or a brand that you know somebody has used and had good luck with...

Quick Reply: question