1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help with fuse box under hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
crazydesigns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuse box under hood

HI my name is greg im new to the forums and was wandering if any one could tell me were it might have shorted at and the reason the side of it caught on fire. heres my story i was driving home from work the other night and it died on me then re started and kept going though ok hmm il lcheck it out when get home was only like 5 miles from hom kept driving the radio would cut out and back on and then i stop at gas station grab drink no problem start it back up and get to house and have small lil engine fire any ideas? and if any one knows were i can get the part besides dealership would be greatly appreciated cause out of work until then part number it has on the back is 717af

Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
crazydesigns

the number on the back of it are like this if any one could help would be greatly appreciated looking for new one

P04793717AF

T-BWH0618WE236

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Are you looking for the actual fuse box that connects to the back of the battery box or are you looking for the fuse relays and such that are inside the fuse box?

Is that where your fire was located? If so, dude, you have WAY BIGGER issues then just fixing the fuse box! You need to find the short that CAUSED the fire because you are just asking for it again!

The battery box and fuse box can be found at your local junk yard, or you may be able to find a new one at someplace like RockAuto.com.

However, your first priority should be to find out what caused the fire! If the panel shorted out, why did it short out? Did someone forget to properly ground it? Mods to the wires leading in/out?

Good luck and I hope your PCM is still OK.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
crazydesigns

got new fuse box in all soldered and heat shrinked up and i stil lcan not find the reasoning behind it shorting out and catching on fire i have looked all over and no mods its all factory

Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Where was the fire? Did any wires melt?

You have GOT to find the cause if you can, and it may be that the panel just shorted out and overheated and caught on fire, but double and triple check ALL the wiring harnesses under the hood. They are easily removed and can be continuity checked sitting down instead of bending over.

If your fire had reached the fuel rail or plastic fuel line, you would have had a raging fireball and a pile of melted metal for a car.....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
crazydesigns

i believe it might have been the box , but not sure it was the right side bottom corner if looking at it is were its melted most and the wire that connects it to positive was melted a lil but like only 2 wires were melted through but the box was the worst i think something went wrong inside it and i have wrecked it once so i think the sudden jar might have knocked something loose and any one know of good place to get motor mounts noticed to day i need some or real close to it

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I got all three of my motor mounts at Autozone.

The engine front mount (passenger side of car) was just an insert. I popped out the old one and pushed in the new one.

The car front mount was cheaper to buy the whole thing then just the insert, and I found that old one was bent some anyway so it worked out.

The tranny mount was also just an insert to the existing one. Better check all three as ALL of mine were completely shot.

It does sound like the wreck knocked something loose or broke something that allowed it to short out over time, so you may be fine, but keep a watch over it and examine the box periodically to see if it is getting hot.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
crazydesigns

i know my top mount is shot behind the battery other 2 are decent but will probably replace all of them and if the weather would give me a break im either fighting wind and trying to keep soldering iron hot or getting sprinkled on while soldering i only got 3 wires left and then ill start it and test it out ive got a heat gun so i can point it and see if tis getting realy hot or not

Quick Reply: Help with fuse box under hood