1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

speedo/airbag issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
myneonbeater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo/airbag issue

95 neon highline, speedometer dances sometimes stops completely, going to zero, the rev meter doesnt work either when this happens . i also need a diagrahm of hoe to fix the airbag spring, it has caused the airbag light to come on and the horn to stop working.

if anyone has a diagrahm or can guve me instructions it would be a big help. i din;t jnow where to start to fix the speedo issue.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by myneonbeater
95 neon highline, speedometer dances sometimes stops completely, going to zero, the rev meter doesnt work either when this happens . i also need a diagrahm of hoe to fix the airbag spring, it has caused the airbag light to come on and the horn to stop working.

if anyone has a diagrahm or can guve me instructions it would be a big help. i din;t jnow where to start to fix the speedo issue.
The speedo/tach issue sounds like the classic 1st gen neon instrument cluster bad solder joint issue - and you can read up on that here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

The horn not working is an easy thing to quickly check. Under the hood, there is a fuse panel just behind the battery. The cover tells you which one is the horn relay. Take the Auto shutdown relay (ASR) and replace the horn relay with it and then try your horn. If it works, you have a bad relay and it costs about $10 ~ $20 bucks for a new one. Also check the wires to the horn itself (which is located under the front bumper cover) to make sure you don't just have a bad horn.

As for the airbag light, if the solder joint is bad, it could cause the light to malfunction and not be actually bad. As for the clockspring, it is just a coil of wire under the steering wheel, and unless someone has removed the steering wheel and dinked with it in the past, it rarely goes bad. I will say this. After checking and/or repairing the instrument cluster, if the light still comes on, then you should get a pro to check it out, because if you accidently short it, you could end up eating it in the face and have to spend megabucks replacing both of them.

If you live in an area where they put down a lot of grit/salt on the roads, then you may have a airbag sensor (and even a horn) corrosion issue that is causing your woes and eating the wires.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 01-11-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Oh. The Haynes manual is a pretty good one and has all the electrical diagrams for the entire car. Its not expensive either, and if you plan on keeping that 95 car, you will need one - again and again and again.

Quick Reply: speedo/airbag issue