1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Cheap parts!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thecause17
The throw stays the same under the pivot, but the distance above the pivot that the **** travels shortens because of the shorter length of the shaft. Simple geometry.
But that doesn't shorten the shift!!! That is the purpose of the STS.

The ebay ones are also aluminum, which can bend. The Maddog STS is hands down, the best one for the neon.

Here is a better picture than the one you provided...
http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
thecause17
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by das2123
But that doesn't shorten the shift!!! That is the purpose of the STS.

Here is a better picture than the one you provided...
http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html
We must mean a couple different things about "throw" and "shift" then. I agree that what is below the pivot point will travel the same distance if you cut the stock shifter, BUT the distance above the pivot point traveled to achieve this same stroke below the pivot point will be less. Your shifter **** and hand will have to travel less, your shift, your throw, whatever you want to call that is less. Is it as much benefit as getting an STS, no, I've had them, they're great. But nonetheless, there is some benefit.

The link you posted is good, you can look at the animated diagram and see what's different than cutting your shifter. The pivot point is at a different place and the overall length of the shifter is the same. It does give more benefit than changing the length only on one side.

Last edited by thecause17; 02-04-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
ohioguru
Veteran

well no one told me about mad dog lol...or i would have, but lets keep overanalyizing this and see what comes out of it.....all i was trying to say was for 7.50 and iF yOU dont have a welder cause mine broke this is worth it....i love the feel, if i was actually planning on turning my neon into some kinda race car then yea i would have gone with a different setup, but for a daily drive i love it.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

The ebay sts does provide a shorter throw, and can maintain the stock shifter ****. That is what I have been using for some time, along with booger bushings. it may not be "the best" but it is fine for the $55 does spent on the shifter and bushings. The price the OP posted is a steal.

Plan on getting a maddog sts at some point as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
The ebay sts does provide a shorter throw
If it the shifter isn't extended in the underneath section, then how is it shortening the throw?

Quick Reply: Cheap parts!