1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM
95neoncoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems

Ok guys I have a 95 neon SOHC 5 speed i been having some form of eletrical problem with it every time it rains. It goes in spurts some times it dosent even hesitate an others it spits an sputters an loses all power an sometimes gets to the point were you cant even drive it..Now wants you let it set for a day or so an let it dry out it will fire up an run fine..I have replace every sensor possible an i put a new PCM in it an the problem continues...I have noticed that it always throughs codes 43, 21, an 12 when i experience this problem..Can someone please give me some idea of whats goin on.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie

does this thing have a distrubtor cap? sounds like your getting contacts wet.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Start looking for wires that may be frayed or have cracked insulation. Particularly in your O2 sensor circuits and for the ignition coil feed since that's what two of you're codes are referring you to. My bet is that code 12(battery disconnected) is thrown just after everything is shorted out and is an erroneous code. If you don't have a service manual like a Haynes or Chiltons get one so you can follow the wiring more easily.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by 95neoncoupe
Ok guys I have a 95 neon SOHC 5 speed i been having some form of eletrical problem with it every time it rains. It goes in spurts some times it dosent even hesitate an others it spits an sputters an loses all power an sometimes gets to the point were you cant even drive it..Now wants you let it set for a day or so an let it dry out it will fire up an run fine..I have replace every sensor possible an i put a new PCM in it an the problem continues...I have noticed that it always throughs codes 43, 21, an 12 when i experience this problem..Can someone please give me some idea of whats goin on.
This may sound a little silly, but I have to ask. Do you still have the wheel well plastic splash guard mounted? It is on the front passenger side of the car. I ask this because if you don't have it installed, you are getting spray coming up from the wheel onto the alternator and belt which can create all kinds of havoc when it gets saturated from too much water. My friend who owned the car before I did, did not have it installed, and he complained about the same things you are.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

Before you throw anymore parts at it, beg, borrow or find a multimeter and check the resistance of the four sparkl plug wires and the ignition coil primary and secondary sides.

Make sure they arew in spec plus make sure the plug wires don't have flaws in the insulation and joints

Quick Reply: electrical problems