1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Yet another question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
idolsidol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another question

My temp gauge stays on cold and i barely get any warm air through the vents even after the car has been running for an hour. Should i replace the thermostat? I read some other threads on here, i undo two bolts with a 10mm socket. Right?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

yes the t-stat only requires 2 10mm bolts. do not over tighten these bolts because they may break when you try to swap it out the next time. Another cause for not having heat is One) not having enough coolant in the system and Two) heater core may be cloged.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by DOHCgarrett t3
yes the t-stat only requires 2 10mm bolts. do not over tighten these bolts because they may break when you try to swap it out the next time. Another cause for not having heat is One) not having enough coolant in the system and Two) heater core may be cloged.
I hope you are not losing coolant, but if you are, you can fill it back up and put some dye into it to find out where it is going. Just get a black light bulb to put in a shop light and you will see it glow where it is leaking.

If the heater core is clogged, there is a chance you can unclog it without replacing it by disconnecting both heater hoses at the firewall and using an ordinary garden hose to back flush it out. You can alternate back and forth and if it is not too bad clogged, you can shoot a lot of gunk out and get it working.

Quick Reply: Yet another question