1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
shadyavis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise

I just started hearing a clicking noise on my '96 a few days ago and at first i thought it was coming from the driver's side front tire-assuming it was the cv joint. My friend had that problem and said that when you go over a bump with a bad cv boot it sounds like your wheel is going to fall off. After listening closer the clicking was acutally coming from my engine. I changed the plugs and wires hoping that would help-but no luck. I hear the clicking noise when I try to accelerate aggresively. It does not happen when the car is coasting or cruising under a normal load. It kind of sounds like the noise that your bicycle would make when you put a baseball card in the spoke. Anyone have any ideas? I am stuck and the noise is driving me crazy! I did the diagnostic check and came up with 12, 42, and 17.
My car has 105,000 miles on it and I have never changed the belts or anything. However, I always change my oil every 35oo miles. My airbag light comes on occassionally along with the check engine light. Also, my gas guage and speedometer don't work anymore. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 AM
gabesn200sx
Default RE: Clicking noise

That clicking sound kind of sounds like the engine may be pinging. Sometimes you can just use some kind of injector cleaner and it will help. It's possible that a sensor may be out causing it to ping. Like the Cam position sensor, or knock sensor. Check the codes out with Autozone, its free and you can just call the codes in.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, for your code 42-

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit problem
Auto shutdown (ASD) relay control circuit problem
No ASD relay output voltage at PCM
Fuel level sending unit - volts out of range
Fuel level sending unit - no change over miles

might wanna get that one taken care of. if its a fuel problem, well, theres your problem

also, an exhaust leak can sound like a ticking noise as well. dunno if thats your problem or not tho.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:42 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

No if its clicking it sounds like the pressure regulator that just does a constant click click click click near your a/c unit if u have air conditioning After a few thousand miles its on the passenger side of ur car...not a big problem....my car has 105000 miles as well and it usually smooths out....Ur speedo and guage not working is due to a bad cluster /ur airbag light coming on has to do with it as well my 95 had a bad cluster its actually cheaper for u to replace the car then the whole cluster.... since it costs about 2 grand. Might try a junkyard complete replacement.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:51 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

No if its clicking it sounds like the pressure regulator that just does a constant click click click click near your a/c unit if u have air conditioning After a few thousand miles its on the passenger side of ur car...not a big problem....
i believe you are referring to the evap purge solenoid, not the pressure regulator?
the evap purge solenoid CAN tick pretty loud (its supposed to tick) so it is a possibility thats what ticking noise you are hearing. the solenoid is mounted onto the passenger side motor mount.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Yeah what he said....LOL its what i was referring to i just couldnt think of the part name thanx slow.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
FRANK DA TANK

Originally Posted by SlowAssNeon
i believe you are referring to the evap purge solenoid, not the pressure regulator?
the evap purge solenoid CAN tick pretty loud (its supposed to tick) so it is a possibility thats what ticking noise you are hearing. the solenoid is mounted onto the passenger side motor mount.
im having the same problem too when it idles and even when i accelerate any idea on how i can 'make it go away'

Last edited by FRANK DA TANK; 03-30-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise