1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Thermostat doesnt fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 AM
idolsidol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat doesnt fit

I bought a new thermostat from a car parts website. When i bought it i entered my reg number on the website to ensure i got the right part. My thermostat housing broke when i tried to fit it so i got another one from a 1996 Neon (mine is a 1999 Neon). It fits ok to my car but when i try and fit the thermostat it just doesnt sit level. It sticks up one end meaning i cant tighten the bolts for the housing to the car.

I put the reg number of the 1996 car it came from into the car parts website and it returned the same thermostat.

What now?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

Does the new one look different from the old one? Take the old one to a local retailer and match it up.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 AM
idolsidol

It didnt have a thermostat when i got it so i cant compare.

I tried to put it back the way it was when i got it, no thermostat, no gasket, but it leaked. So i put a gasket in that came with the thermostat and it leaked even more, so i tried again without and made sure the bolts were done properly and it still leaks, not as much but drip, drip, drip.

I should have just got a garage to do it

Old 04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The thermostat only fits into the housing one way correctly and if you don't have it that way, it won't fit. Get a Haynes manual and it will show you the proper way to install it. They only cost $25 USD.

I would try to tell you, but words sometimes won't help. I can say that not only do you have to get right in which way to turn the thermostat, but you also have to align the bypass of the themostat properly into the housing too.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
idolsidol

Ive just removed the gasket and screwed the bolts back and it appears to be leak free so ill leave it for now. Oh, i forgot to put the rubber hose back into the housing. The small, narrow one. Then i went for a drive. What is it and did i damage anything by not putting it back?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
streetracer88
All Star

that is just a overflow tank and no it didnt damage anything just hook it up back up

Quick Reply: Thermostat doesnt fit