1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

yet another overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
watso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another overheating

so about a month ago I started having overheating issues with my 95 neon. Thought it was a bad thermo so we replaced it. Runs great for a couple of days then bam overheating again. there are no visible leaks, no water in the oil and vise versa. the anti freeze bubbles over into the overflow when I shut the car down. I have noticed that my fans don't run. so next is the fuse. anything else it could be?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

check the relays?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

A quick way to see if the fans are OK is to run a wire straight from the battery to the fan and if it spins OK, then check the relays as stated earlier.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM
watso

ok here is what I gathered today....I filled the rad up got all the air out. ran it till it warmed up and it registered on the temp guage. Turned it off and bubble bubble up the res. I looked under my car and there is water flowing out somewhere but I can't seem to see where it's coming from.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Berettaspeed

Napa carrys headgasket testing tool with blue liquid.(40-70 bucks) Hope your just boiling due to a broken fan, but it should not boil while driving if all you have is a bad fan. Fan helps ONLY when your not moving. The tool tests for hydrocarbons in your coolant which will let you know you most likely have a headgasket leak/or cracked head. You may not always get coolant into your oil or vis-versa once they mix its already done for. Its warning you to check it out.

Good luck

Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Jestre8

My neon is also overheating and when it gets hot it bubbles out coolant into the reservoir which has a drain if the level gets too high. This is most probable if the water only flows out when overheating and is not a constant leak. Another important part of the fans working besides the relays/fuses is the coolant temp sensor (Located here: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...SensorSOHC.jpg) which tells the fans to turn on when the car reaches a certain temp (Costs like $20). Also, fans should stay on always when the A/C is on so you may want to use that to test the fans.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watso
ok here is what I gathered today....I filled the rad up got all the air out. ran it till it warmed up and it registered on the temp guage. Turned it off and bubble bubble up the res. I looked under my car and there is water flowing out somewhere but I can't seem to see where it's coming from.
how many miles are on your Neon? Also, try and see if its coming from the passenger side (closer to the front) of the engine. It could be the water pump leaking, OR if its near the back, it could be the res overfilling and spilling out.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
watso

in my last post I meant to say the fans are working. my bad. the water is gushing out the front passenger side. I don't think its the head gasket really but before I add parts to it I wanted to get some input on what other people did if they had the same problem. Im a girl and can't afford to take it to the mechanic so Im planning on getting a crash course in auto repair. lol

Old 05-09-2010, 09:51 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be your water pump going bad.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Jestre8

Fans working, water from front passenger side, sounds like it's your water pump. I have to replace my water pump to try and fix my overheating problem and I just started taking stuff off tonight to change it out.

Quick Reply: yet another overheating