1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Emmisons sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:40 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emmisons sucks

I took my car to be tested today and it failed miserably. I can't figure it out. The only code that I am thowin is P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input. On the test paper is says egr system not ready, 02 system not ready. I think I have to have the PCM cleared. I am taking it into the shop tommarow since I hate dealing with anything with the computer. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:19 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Emmisons sucks

A faulty ECT sensor will cause the PCM to run in default ("limp mode") which is exceptionally rich. It probably won't bother running other system diganostics until the condition clears...

Pulling the fuel pump fuse or disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will clear the codes from memory. However, it will take a few driving cycles for all the diagnostics to run (O2 sensors in particular), so they won't show "ready" for a few days.

Replace the ECT sensor first though. Most emissions places will fail a car if the CEL is on for any reason.

Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
casper
Legend

Yeah I tried that. I replaced the temp sensor for the PCM, that cleared the high temp code. Now it is showing a code 32 EGR system failure. I have it at the shop right now being looked at. I can fix anything myself, but I hate working with computer codes and diagnosing things, and usually end up fixing it with a sledge hammer. Which does get expensive.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may be cheaper/better to go ahead and get a mopar perf ecu than replace the egr (okok, not cheaper. but better. and the mopar ecu ignores the egr. heh)

Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Prolly a bad evapo filter or relay just change it if youre mostly stock w/ cat and all you should still pass emissions.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

Prolly a bad evapo filter or relay just change it if youre mostly stock w/ cat and all you should still pass emissions.
cat or not, remember that the emissions test now relies on the obd2 scan some places you have the sniffer test AND the obd2 scan. i feel bad for those places.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

HEHE no emissions tests here!!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

bastard :lol:

yeah, im hopin to move down south (florida) and having no emissions would definately be awesome. id be able to drive my peon more!

Old 05-15-2005, 04:52 AM
ewetho
All Star

In most states now you will probably fail. The old sniffer days you may pass but with OBD you have to have all of you monitors set and passed. And your EGR system will not pass with that code. Check engine lights will set if you have a condition that will make you exceed emissions by 150%. So basically if you have a functioning Check engine light and it ain't on you pass. There is an exception-You have to drive around for a while first to set your monitors. Or they know you reset the PCM and they don't know if your car is functioning correctly. So fix fix fix.

Sledge hammer = replacement hammer (anything you hit needs replacing)

Old 05-16-2005, 03:11 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The EGR code could be set by a failed solenoid/wiring (P0403) or the EGR valve/tubing (P0401). Either way, it's just a matter of replacing the faulty component. But yeah, for what you're paying in labor, you could get a used Mopar PCM, eliminate the code forever and still pass emissions...

Quick Reply: Emmisons sucks