1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Check Engine code 51 Fuel Sys Lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 PM
lowspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine code 51 Fuel Sys Lean

I^we troubled down to fuel pump failure, cause there aint any sound when i crank the car.

I^we buyed a new orginal pump, damn expensive ! 800 $ Eight Hundred Dollars! (**

Im a so called newvbie, or havent done so much fixing, so if anyone have replaced the pump, could u please reply with a guide removing and installing the new one ?? thanx in advance, i really appreciate all tips and troubleshoot hints!

The car is Chrysler 1995 Neon SOCH 16v 98 kW. Steel tank with pump and regulator included in the tank..it should be two

Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
catman22
Professional
Default RE: Check Engine code 51 Fuel Sys Lean

taken from a haynes repair manual

1 releive fuel system pressure

step 1 detach negative battery cable and unscrew fuel filler cap
2 remove cap from the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail put shop towel under pressure test port and using a screwdriver depress the shrader valve to release pressure and fuel from system

2 detach negative battery cable
3 remove fuel tank from vehicle
steps 1 remove the fuel filler cap to relive fuel tank pressure
2 relive the fuel system pressure
3 detach negative battery cable
4 raise rear of vehicle and support securly on jackstand
5 remove the quick connect cap from the fuel pump module on 1995 models, push a drain hose into the drain port and drain fuel into a gas can
6 disconect the quick connect fuel line fittings from the fuel pump module
7 on the right (passenger side) of the tank remove the locking pin from the fuel pump module
8 support the tank with a floor jack, put a piece of wood between tank and jack
9 remove fuel tank strap bolts and fuel tank straps, slighty lower tank
10 disconnect the fuel filler tube, filler vent tube from the filler hose and vapor relief tube from the tee fitting at the fuel tank
11 remove tank from vehicle
12 installation is reverse of removal

4 on 1995 models mark location of the fuel drain fitting on the module on the fuel tank with a permanent pen. use this alignment mark during installation

5 on 1995 models use a brass drift hammer and tap the fuel pump module lock ring in a counter clockwise direction
6 remove fuel pump/ fuel sending unit from tank angle the assembly slightly to avoid damaging the fuel sending unit float
7 the electric fuel pump is not servicable in event of failure the complete assembly must be replaced
8 installation is reverse of removal

sorry about the repeatin of procedures but using differnt parts of manual to give you the info needed. send me a pm if you need more help or clarification on any of the steps.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lowspeed
I^we buyed a new orginal pump, damn expensive ! 800 $ Eight Hundred Dollars! (**
holy crap thats an expensive oem fuel pump!! wish we coulda helped you out before ya paid for it, the aftermarket Walbro 255 lph fuel pump is only around $120 and will work just fine.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Woulda been cheaper to buy a racing pump with braided lines then that fuel pump.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:58 AM
lowspeed

OK, working great now! exeptional nice low sound from the pump, cant hear a thing only when its starts, humming.
Me & my father took out the gas tank and cleaned it nicly, a lot of dust in the corners, all gone and the car is great again!
Thx anyways, strange this problem caused upto 7 different check engine codes, lol! (02 sensor,MAP voltage low, EWAP purge etc)

Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
lowspeed

damn, 600 dollars is correct, 4 000 norwegian kroners.

Quick Reply: Check Engine code 51 Fuel Sys Lean