1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Big Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Forcfed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big Brakes?

Hey guys. I just wanted to stop in and see if anyone has done a big brake swap on their neon? What I want to do is hopefully get the front and rear brake calipers along with the master cylinder off a caravan and bolt it right up to my neon. I did a similar swap on my 88 turbo dodge shadow with a late 80's caravan parts. It was called the SLH(Stops Like Hell) brake swap and I'm very happy with it for the price it cost. I went to my local salvage yard and got everything I needed to do the swap. I can't find anywhere on the net if this has been or can be done done with our neons. I'm hoping someone on here knows if its possible and if it'll bolt up no problems like it did from the late 80's caravan to my shadow without me heading to the salvage yard wasting my time and money.... I'm sure a lot of you will say that rear discs don't really offer better stopping over rear drums and only add weight to the car. I'm aware of this. I want rear discs for the way they will look in my open SRT-4 rims and also for ease of replacing pads and maintenance. Thanks in advance for any and all valuable information.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
NeonOn19s
Captain

I have seen big brakes done with Willwood, and even an upgrade to SRT ( that is what I did from my R/T) As for taking them from a caravan, that is something that I have never thought of. If it didn't cost you too much then give it a shot..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not sure if you are doing this for show or function, but here is my $.02:

The neon braking system performs better than units in the td world. Something to do first is flush the existing brake fluid if it looks any darker than clear water. Next, get some Hawk brake pads. Len used this setup in his 600whp neon with no complaints. Not the PT brake swap. Not the srt brake swap. Not brakes from a mini van.

Most are in the habit of just replacing parts, rather than restoring good working parts to original working condition. You certainly can use pt/srt brake on your neon. They are actually quite similar to the 11" brake setup on the 89+ spirit/daytona/lebaron. Sounds like you already have larger wheels, so that would not be an issue in this case. Whether the brake lines will match up from the mini van to a neon is beyond my current scope of knowledge. I can say the the rear disc calipers from an 89 shelby daytona worked on my neon. They were left overs, and brand new.

If you did a rear disc swap, consider getting a master cylinder and the rear proportioning valves for a neon with rear disc brakes. That will give the proper brake function. If this is still not enough, along with a fluid flush and good pads, swap away.

Quick Reply: Big Brakes?