1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Leaking Gear Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:04 AM
builtfourspeed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaking Gear Lubricant

Looks like i encited a debate of biblical portions. This is not a pressure issue, the seals leaks with the car parked, hot or cold, day or night, otherwise, the tranny is in excelant shape at 85,000 miles. By the wa, I use Mobil 1 syn. gear lube 75W-90 ine everything I own $24 and change to fill to capacity but definately worth it, huge difference.

Cheers-
B4S

Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 AM
builtfourspeed

That's what I get for not proof reading.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

YOU USE GL IN A CHRYSLER TRANNY!!! OMG - I change my previous statement - get that sucker out of there and do a complete rebuild and use the correct fluid - Mopar Manual Transaxle Lubricant which is no way like gl 75-90 - gl is way too high a viscosity oil for those transmissions - and even it isnt a pressure issue now - that may have been the reason it started - once you pierce the seal they usually continue to leak. I really dont know, from what you say it is pissing out of there at a constant rate - i'd rebuild it if I were you and you might want to look into new syncros and bearings while your in there.

For future reference - viscosity is a fluids resistance to shear stress - essentially it is fluid friction as the concept was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in his attempts to understand the mechanical nature of the world - basically fluid shear is proportial to the velocity gradient in what is called a Newtonian fluid of which most oils fall under - the larger the gradient, the larger the shear - the higher the viscosity, the greater the shear - larger shear induces higher temperatures in that the fluid and what is called viscous heat dissapation in heat transfer terms and you are essentially wasting mechanical energy from your crank in heating your transmission fluid. The idea of the transmission is to EFFICIENTLY transmit power and multiply torque to the drive wheels. Excess heat causes a multitude of other problems including weakening of components, accelerated bearing wear, and as I previously mentioned - excessive pressure in the case. The designers of the transmission know its operation and limitations better than you or I - do what they say - a lot of time and effort goes into this and isn't something to monkey around with unless you are prepared to deal with the ill effects that will occur.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 PM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that, if you haven't been using the right fluid you may as well rip it apart now. When the synchro's went in mine I figured it was 'cuase I was too hard on it,upon removal I discovered otherwise. All along I'd thought my rear main seal was leaking, turned out to be the input shaft seal in the tranny, and apparently the previous owner had either topped up or re-filled the tranny with the wrong fluid (one whiff of the stuff coming out of it gave it away, the NV-T350 stuff absolutely reeks). So not only were my synchros shot but the reverse gear shaft was blue, that puppy got HOT.

The T350 isn't a terrible tranny but it does require some special care and precautions (no peg-leg burnouts please), otherwise you will inevitably wind up with a big hunk of scrap metal. I'm not just pulling this out of thin air either as we've now got quite a collection of grenaded T-350's at the shop.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

I got fooled that way too, I thought my rear main was leaking and it was the input shaft seal - the reason I though it was oil is that it mixed with the dust from my clutch, I suppose, and turned it black as coal, like used motor oil. I even went out and bought a rear main and felt like a complete jackass when I had to return it a few days later......

Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
tchase
Professional

ORIGINAL: mechengineer201

I got fooled that way too, I thought my rear main was leaking and it was the input shaft seal - the reason I though it was oil is that it mixed with the dust from my clutch, I suppose, and turned it black as coal, like used motor oil. I even went out and bought a rear main and felt like a complete jackass when I had to return it a few days later......
Umm..yeah that's gotta go back.

Bet you didn't feel as dumb as I did when I realized I went an extra day without my car waiting for an axle seal that was exactly the same as one sitting on the shelf at the shop waiting to go into a caravan.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:22 PM
builtfourspeed

Just for reference, the leak was there when i bought the car, it was not caused by the GL.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:39 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

Neither myself nor chase nor anyone else for that matter made any claim thats the gl caused the leak - point is you prolly ruined alot more by using the gl than was apparently already ruined - dont make excuses - just get 'er done and do it right this time - we are only tryin to help ya out and if you dont like the advice you get you are free to walk away and do whatever you like but im guessing chase is a mechanic by trade and I can testify that I was a mechanic before I crossed over to the dark side, got my education, and became an engineer - not that it means I know what the hell I'm talking about but I can most certainly supply my credentials if you want. I'm not one to talk **** and not back it up....and I'd say that I have one hell of a bull**** filter which you really need when you read some of the posts on here....

Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 PM
tchase
Professional

While I'm truly flattered that someone would think I'm a mechanic I have to admit that I am not (yet at least). I am engaged to one though. My formal education is actually in electronics, but more and more I find myself with a wrench in my hand rather than a multi-meter. I've always been an automotive enthusiast however, and have been wrenching on my own vehicles and those of my friends since before I was old enough to drive (legally at least). My knowledge of the neon comes from the fact that I've always wanted one and have read and collected every piece of info I can get my hands on both in preparation of eventually buying one and now in the everday repiar and modification of the one I do have. My other half regularly works on a number of different neons which also enables me to pick up a lot of first hand experience. I certianly don't have all the answers but the ones I do have come from real world experience from 15 years of tinkering with a lot of different vehicles with a lot of different problems.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 PM
mechengineer201
Rookie

You must be kim I take it? Sorry if i got any gender issues mixed up or something like that - and yeah your about the most credible person on here, and as far as the multimeter goes - dont be afraid to pick that up before the wrench - in todays day and age at least - I'm huge into electronics, I have a usb data aquisition module, an old school hewlett packard 180A oscilloscope, my blue point dmm (not as good as the fluke but its ok), and bins and boxes of IC's, resistors, and capacitors that I regard very highly in my list of tools and supplies; not to say I would be anywhere without a box of hand tools, compressor, and torches - all I really need is a good mig welder, a mill, and a lathe and I wouldnt have any need to ever leave my garage - except maybe for the right girl . What mad scientist would be complete without all that?

Quick Reply: Leaking Gear Lubricant