1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

thinking of swaping engin and transmssion

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
bishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of swaping engin and transmssion

heyy my dads a mechanic and i got a 95 neon im doin up and it was workin perfect till doing a burnout all the way up the street the other night lol the trannys bout 2 go theres a loud clanking noise in it im gonna replace the trans mission but im gonna replace the engion atteh same time this time im gonna get a 2.0L dohc it now has a 2.0 L sohc and in teh new one im gonna port polish it and put headers on it and clean it all upp there was nothing done 2 the engin so far exept an intake so when teh new 1ns in im gettin it all cleaned up does any one have any suggestions of good ways to go? or any think i should do that i missed ?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 AM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thinking of swaping engin and transmssion

As for the tranny, sounds like you cooked the diff.

As for the engine swap don't forget to get the DOHC trans, computer and wiring harness. Also keep in mind that your current intake won't work and the choice of aftermarket parts is more limited and more expensive. Also remember that you'll be paying $0.06/L more for gas. Not saying it's not worth it, I love mine, it just telling you to weigh all the costs. Good luck and either way make sure you add the diff pin retianer clips in your new trans to prevent another tranny-bomb. I just did mine and I'll post up some pics and tips as soon as I'm done workin' on the damn thing.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's special about the "DOHC tranny"? Plenty of SOHC's came with the 3.94 final drive... I'm very fond of mine

First, you need to do a lot more research on what your options are - 2.0L SOHC, 2.0L SOHC "Magnum", 2.0L DOHC, 2.4L DOHC, and turbocharged and/or nitrous versions of any of those just to start, then there's suspension... Then you need to set some realistic goals, figure out what parts you need to get there, and get started.

The Neon has an open differential. If you keep doing burnouts (peg-leg most likely), the differential pin will warp, break, and lauch itself out of the tranny 90% of the time. At this point, all you probably have is an 80 pound paperweight.

I've found the availability of aftermarket parts is much better for DOHC's than SOHC's, particularly for used parts. With the exception of the head and parts attached directly to the head (intake manifold, header), just about everything else is fully interchangeable.

Tooting my own horn... try getting a few ideas from this site. Needs serious updating, but it'll hopefully help some. Allpar's site also has good info.

Best of luck!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 PM
tchase
Professional

I'd really like to know what SOHC came with a 3.94 tranny except maybe an ACR or Gen2 R/T. All info I've seen including that directly from chrysler clearly states otherwise. If yours has one it's gotta be a swap job.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran

yeah, the only sohcs that originally came with a 3.94, were ACRs for the 1st gens.

http://neons.org/faq/faq/FAQ_ET.html#MTX

Quick Reply: thinking of swaping engin and transmssion