1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
richlars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issues

I have read a few threads trying to find something similar. I found a few threads that were close but not quite the same.
My son has a 98 espresso that recently developed starter issues. turn the key and hear a good solid click, but then nothing. I removed the starter and had it bench tested and it showed that it was good. I reinstalled it and cleaned all connections from the battery to the starter and away went the problem, for a day. Then more of the same.
Assuming a flat spot on the starter, forked out $130 for a new (rebuilt) starter and again, worked great for a day. I'm not kidding, my son returned the core, came out of the parts house and CLICK. Same old story Battery tested OK, cables appear to be in good shape. What next?
I put a long screwdriver down and touched the solenoid while my son tried it. There is a definite solid click when the key is turned, but that is it.
To make sure things are as they should be. the negative cable is attached to one of the mounting bolts of the starter. The positive is going to the terminal on the starter with another smaller lead going to the fuse box. Also on that lug is a smaller wire going to the same harness as the wire that plugs into the starter. Is that coming from the alternator?
Then of course there is the wire with the special plug that plugs into the starter.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rich

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
sapporo
Banned

maybe replace the main power cable from battery to starter, try wiggling this wire at starter and at battery when the problem arises.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
thecause17
Veteran

How was the battery tested?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Double check all ground connections first. Make sure BOTH nuts are secure on the starter.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM
streetracer88
All Star

the car doesnt have a good ground its usually the one that come out of the negative cable check for breaks in it

Quick Reply: Starter Issues