1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Can someone please help me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Blue98 R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please help me?

I just bought a 1998 dodge neon R/T. The body has 142xxx miles and the engine has 44xxx miles. i just got a oil change and it is already low. i checked under the car and no leaks. there also are no leaks around the headgasket. but when i drive and take of i see smoke coming out of my muffler. i went to a mechanic and they said it isnt my headgasket because there isnt anything leakin around it. he said i may be burning oil inside my engine and may have a bad engine. it is a newer engine and i really dont think i already need new engine so if anyone has any other ideas wht it could be could you help me out i really dont have alot of money to go buy a new engine.. thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well then it must be the rings how is the compression in the cyclinders . It should be around 180 -190 I think? and no more than a 10% diffrence between any of the cyclinders. if it is lower than maybe the rings are bad. or maybe just need to have the head valve seals replaced.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Blue98 R/T

thanks! is this something i can do myself or have to have done?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

if you have the tools than you can do it yourself. otherwise you can pull the Head and take the head to a shop. you could also proably buy the compression test kit for less than the cost of having someone else do it. for the test kit I would check Craigslist.org, or e bay, also harbor freight has some, although they don't have the best tools for daily use they are cheap.