1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Mystery Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
MsPriss22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Diagnosis 95 SOHC

ok....basic info....I have a 1995 Neon SOHC 5 speed manual transmission...with god knows how many miles on it..

ONLY on days when it is 85 degrees out or hotter my car is what i think is overheating after about 35-40 mins of driving on the freeway...as long as im in gear going down the road it is fine but when i take it out of gear to shift into a lower gear when getting off the freeway i lose all acceleration....the car doesnt ever rev when i push on the gas...if i sit for about 20 mins it will work again (thus why i think its over heating)....my temp gauge on the instrument panel stays about half way

heres what weve replaced so far:

spark plug tube seals (the first time this happened there was oil in my spark plug tubes)
valve cover gasket
fuel filter
PCV valve (pain in the ***)
coil pack
all new plugs and wires
water pump
thermostat
flushed the coolant system
repalced the fans and wired them to be on all the time when my car is on

after doing all of this and not fixing the problem i finally took it to an auto shop....(mind you this was at 8 am when it was only about 65 degrees out) they let the car run for almost an hour and drove it and said it ran just fine....the code that came back from the computer are all emission codes....They told me that based on what i have told them....it could be the catalyic converter, fuel pump, or ignition coil

they didnt say head gasket but i dont think they did a pressure test...ps when it has this problem it doesnt start smoking or anything and it has no symptoms of a head gasket problem other than the "overheating"

Like i said this ONLY happens on days when its over 85 degrees and mostly very humid....if its 82 degrees it is fine

any ideas would be fantastic i just dont know what else to do

Thanks

Last edited by MsPriss22; 07-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 AM
carracer48

hmm... sounds strange, have you had the coolant temp sensor checked with an o scope?? My neon ran just fine until one day it wouldn't accelerate i pulled to the side of the road and it died and would not start. Replaced the coolant temp sensor and fired right up and never had any problems sense.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:16 AM
carracer48

actually after re reading your post emissions codes?? I am curious to know exactly what codes there were 02 sensor?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

sounds a bit strange but are you sure the car is even running when your in gear? I do not think your over heating I think maybe you have a lack of fuel or spark. aww hell I want to sugest a Cam sensor, but with the cost of them it would be a hard choice. one reason is the cost of the sensor is around 20 dollars and you also have to buy a new connecter which is another 20.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
MsPriss22

Yes the car is running when it is in gear.....if i can get it reved up enough it will move but that only happens if im lucky after changing out almost the entire cooling system i dont think its over heating either...i read on another post that the fuel pump could be getting to hot and vacum sealing therefore not letting any fuel into my cylinders...im jsut sick of throwing parts at it and wasting my money

drove it to work today without a problem (its only 82 degrees here today) when i did the key dance i got a 12; 32; and 55 i know 55 is the end of codes and i havent got a chance to look up the 32

Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
MsPriss22

the 32 is a EGR system failure....can some one elaborate on that?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

the EGR is just some BS system on the car the recirculates the burnt fumes so it can run "greener" it should not affect the way it runs, unless maybe it is stuck open.

Quick Reply: Mystery Diagnosis