1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How many problems here

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 AM
95neondodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many problems here

I have a 95 neon sohc last couple of days It has been cutting out and There is no specific time it just does it when it wants and I have been just replacing things that I thought needed to be changed namely cam and crank sensor and a couple of months back had problems with the wire harness and fixed now it has died and the key dance gives me a 43,21,32,11 and it gives the 43 twice. things Ive done are my timing belt is good and timing is good its a good crank sensor Ill start with the cam sensor in morning but can failure of the EGR kill the engine or cause the misfire which is the 43 code (21)oxygen sensor found a broken wire to back one and fixed IDK

Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the EGR is stuck close it can cause timing issues since the fuel mixture will be all mixed up since none of the gases escape through the EGR like it should.

Also, the rear O2 sensor on the 95's just throws a code but it won't change anything in the mixture.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
95neondodge

ok but could that be a no start issue?I have 8-9 volts going into the crank and cam sensors other wire has 5 till it activates then goes down to .5 cant remember exactly but within parameters. I have also taken off crank and cam and made work by hand also can make fuel pump go off by hand turning engine but according to manual I put test light to coil Battery terminal and turn key on light should flash. But I get no flash.This means a sensor is not working properly and the ASD relay is shutting everything off?So now I think I have to pull apart PDC to see if ASD relay is keeping things turned off and I can check the VSS maybe.I can see some of the problems with the EGR but I dont see where that would keep it from starting?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

During cranking, the ASD relay will not energize until the PCM receives a camshaft position sensor signal. Secondly, the ASD relay remains energized only if the controller senses a camshaft position sensor signal immediately after detecting the camshaft position sensor signal.

(1) Check battery voltage. Voltage should be approximately 12.66 volts or higher to perform failure to start test.
(2) Disconnect the harness connector from the coil pack
(3)Connect a test light to the +B (battery voltage) terminal of the coil electrical connector and ground. The +B wire for the DIS coil is the center terminal. Do not spread the terminal with the test light probe.
(4) Turn the ignition key to the ON position. The test light should flash On and then Off. Do not turn the Key to off, leave it in the On position.
(a) If the test light flashes momentarily, the PCM grounded the ASD relay. Proceed to step 5.
(b) If the test light did not flash, the ASD relay did not energize. The cause is either the relay or one of the relay circuits. Use the DRB scan tool to test the ASD relay and circuits. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostics Manual. Refer to the wiring diagrams section for circuit information.
(5) Crank the engine. (If the key was placed in the off position after step 4, place the key in the On position before cranking. Wait for the test light to flash once, then crank the engine.)
(6)If the test light flashes momentarily during cranking, the PCM is not receiving a crankshaft sensor signal.
(7) If the test light did not flash during cranking, unplug the crankshaft position sensor connector. Turn the ignition key to the off position. Turn the key to the On position, wait for the test light to momentarily flash once, then crank the engine. If the test light momentarily flashes, the crankshaft position is shorted and must be replaced. If the light did not flash, the cause of the no-start is either in the crankshaft position sensor/camshaft position sensor 8 volts supply circuits, or the camshaft position sensor output or ground circuits.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by neoncrazy101
if the EGR is stuck close it can cause timing issues since the fuel mixture will be all mixed up since none of the gases escape through the EGR like it should.

What's the normal state of an EGR valve?

Last edited by TNtech; 09-19-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 95neondodge
I have a 95 neon sohc last couple of days It has been cutting out and There is no specific time it just does it when it wants and I have been just replacing things that I thought needed to be changed namely cam and crank sensor and a couple of months back had problems with the wire harness and fixed now it has died and the key dance gives me a 43,21,32,11 and it gives the 43 twice. things Ive done are my timing belt is good and timing is good its a good crank sensor Ill start with the cam sensor in morning but can failure of the EGR kill the engine or cause the misfire which is the 43 code (21)oxygen sensor found a broken wire to back one and fixed IDK
The root problem to all of those DTCs is the ASD output circuit. Find out where the GREEN/ORANGE wire is touching or broken, or put a new ASD relay in it. Maybe the wiring harness is rubbing the corner of the head and touching? Outside chance, PCM is getting flakey. Don't confuse your ASD output with 5V sensor output.

A bit of advice. When your 15 year old car has a problem, throwing parts at it can only make your problem even worse. You start unplugging and moving old crusty wiring around and such you create more problems than you had to start with. Then you end up diagnosing other issues in addition to the first one.

11 Generator field not switching properly (ASD supplies power to field coil ckt, PCM decides how to regulate my manipulating ground)
21 Injector control circuit (supplies power to injectors, PCM closes ground)
32 Upstream O2 stays at center (ASD supplies power to O2 heaters, of course O2 will throw a code)
43 Ignition coil #1 primary (Again... ASD powers Ignition coil, PCM closes ground for 1 and 2 primary ckts)

Last edited by TNtech; 09-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: How many problems here