1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Neon starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 AM
joesdragons
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Neon starting issues.

First things first it's been sitting for some time. I start it once a week at least as i have yet to pick up car (I bought it in late October)

So it normally starts with little issue. There seems to be an electrical issue which may or may not be related. When I start car turn lights on depress the gas pedal the lights dim. I read somewhere the could be an issue with positive terminal but I will leave this open to discussion.

Today I went to start the car and got nothing from it. Mind you it was covered in snow and has been getting snowed in all month. As I played around I depressed the accelerator and it turns over and attempted to start but was very rough.

I continued to pump the pedal and it started. Sounded a little rough at first but it cleaned up and ran normal. I now have a check engine light though I did not have this prior.

The car will have to do safety and e test so I have to figure out whats gone wrong. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

In summary. There is a electrical issue which may or may not be related to hard start and check engine light though it has not seemed to be and issue before

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If you have (or can borrow) an OBD-II reader device, you can check the 4 digit error codes that caused the CEL to come on. That is the best way as the 4 digit codes are the most detailed.

BUT, you can do the on-off key dance (3 times quickly) and read the two digit error blink codes. Turn the key to on then back to off quickly three times and on the 4th time back to on, watch the CEL light closely. It will begin to blink. A blink, pause, blink blink is error code 12 (ignore). 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks is 55 (end of codes - ignore). Anything else - write down and go to the sticky link in this forum to see what the error codes mean.

As for your electrical issue, need more details. It could be that you are not running the car long enough after cranking it on those super cold days that the battery is slowly dying, or it could be that the alternator is not putting out enough juice.

If you bought the car and it runs, why are you not driving it some that would be way better on the car then just briefly cranking it.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Clean your battery terminals and ground wires.

Get a voltmeter, if you do not already have one. Check the voltage to the battery.

Quick Reply: 98 Neon starting issues.