1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 neon fuel pump wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
ualeech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 neon fuel pump wont turn on

ive been trying to figure out why my fuel pump wont turn on in my 1998 neon sport dohc.
at first i thought it was just the fuel pump went back so i put another one in, the car started about 4 times before i tried to move it, when i did it started to cut out and sputter, after it shut off the fuel pump wouldnt kick back on. I then decided to put the tank and all off my extra neon(which started and ran fine minutes before i pulled it) after i put the tank and all in my 1998 it never kicked on(at the same time i took the old tank and pump and hooked it up to my extra neon and it started fine with the old tank). which puts me where i am now. all 3 pumps i have work, but not in my 1998 neon, ive changed the fuses and used brand new gas, now im stumped and looking for any help and advice.

thanks,
trevor

Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

1) Check the fuel pump relay and the auto-shutdown relay. Either one could be going/'gone bad. You can swap either one with the horn relay (if your horn works) as they are all the same relay. Try replacing the fuel pump with the horn and then if the horn works but it still wont start, change out the horn and the ASM relay and repeat.

2) Check to see if you are getting any error codes by doing the dodge key dance - on/off three times quickly and write down the two digit error codes given - blink, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink is error code 32. Ignore codes 12 and 55 (which is the last code given to indicate no more codes). You may need to change out one or both the crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensors as if either one go out, the fuel pump relay and/or auto-shutdown relay will stop fuel from being pumped.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM
ualeech

thanks for the advice, the auto shutdown rely was blown..so i replaced it and it started right up..but now im into a new problem. i let the car warm up last night and them drove to the store and let it run while i was in the store, when i came out the gas gauge went from 3/8 full to empty but was still running and ran the mile back home..but as soon as i shut off the car, and tried to restart it..the pump wouldnt kick on again..i messed with a bit last night and could get it to turn back on, but this morning i went out and turned it over. when i did the pump kicked on and the car started. while the car was running i had the hood opened, and after about 5 mins of looking some things over while it was running, i shut the hood and as soon as i did the car died and shut off, now the pump wont turn on again.

i checked all the fuse and relays and all them are fine..and now im just confused.
any help would be appreciated

thanks
trevor

Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Are you getting any error codes? Do the key dance as suggested earlier. You may have a new problem - or you could be out of gas. Put in a couple of gallons just to be sure.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
ualeech

this key doesnt dance and the check engine light doesnt come on, i checked the code anyway and it was 12. there is about 6 gallons of gas in it..all the fuses and relays are good..but still the fuel pump on kick on..i tested the pump again and it is still good...so im at a loss for what the problem is, if anyone knows anything else to check thatd be great cuz im clueless at this point.

thanks
trevor

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by ualeech
this key doesnt dance
Ha Ha.....Funny.......

Originally Posted by ualeech
and the check engine light doesnt come on, i checked the code anyway and it was 12. there is about 6 gallons of gas in it..all the fuses and relays are good..but still the fuel pump on kick on..i tested the pump again and it is still good...so im at a loss for what the problem is, if anyone knows anything else to check thatd be great cuz im clueless at this point.
How are you testing the fuel pump - fuel pressure tester? If not enough gas makes it to the fuel rail, it will shut down.

Quick Reply: 1998 neon fuel pump wont turn on