1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Odd trouble with mom's car....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
ewemule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd trouble with mom's car....

We're getting sputtering when turning left. At any number of different speeds. Idles and starts just fine, still plenty of pep (237,000 miles). I was thinking that maybe something in the tank was sloshing and gumming up the intake in the tank. There is an intermittent "check engine light" which Autozone said was linked to the cooling fan relay. The sputter occurs whether the engine light is on or not.
I guess in short it kind of acts like it's lacking proper fuel briefly.
Thanks in advance.
Marty
P.S. We're starting to shop for a newer car for mom. It's time. Law of diminishing returns is in full effect.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

with that many miles, you may indeed have a gummed up fuel pump assembly (or at least a gummed up screen over the fuel pickup. Your 1998 Neon requires you to drop the fuel tank, remove the fuel pump assembly (pump, guage, regulator, & filter all in one), and depending on where you go, you can either replace the whole thing (easiest way to do it, but more expensive), or replace the bad parts only.

Harbor freight has a cheap fuel pump tester that you can use at $13.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pu...ter-93547.html

Get one and see if your fuel pressure at the rail is where it should be. Also, how long has it been since you cleaned the injectors? If you are getting the proper fuel pressure level at the fuel rail, then the next thing to check is the injectors. If they are partially clogged, then that can be causing your issues.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

BTW, the cooling fan relays are cheap and easy to replace, but first double check the wires for frays and cracks, and the connector and sensor attachment point as they sometimes get corroded with gunk that causes an intermittent error to occur. If it fails on a hot day and the fans don't come on, you will have worse problems. Use a good cleaner (such as a can of MAF cleaner) which won't harm electrical connections.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
ewemule
Default When I get at it .......

I found that rockauto.com has the fuel pump assembly and fuel filler neck for the same price as the fuel pump assembly alone at auto zone.
If it turns out that I need to replace the FPA is there a big difference between the lower and higher price pumps from rock auto ? Spectra premium, Bosch, etc. ?
Thanks,
Marty

Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Nah. Not unless you need a FPA that can support a larger engine or larger injectors, but if you are just going to go/stay OEM, there is no real difference except cost.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
ewemule
Default Checked that Harbor Freight tester.....

Says it's only good to 10psi. Guess I'd better shop around.
Sounds like that would be the best place to start as I'd rather not take everything apart thinking I can clean something only to have to dismantle one more time and replace parts.
No $$ for about 2 more weeks.
Marty

Quick Reply: Odd trouble with mom's car....