1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Where do I get stiffer motor mount inserts/ New thrust strut

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I get stiffer motor mount inserts/ New thrust strut

When I rebuilt my engine, I replaced all three motor mount bushings with new OEM inserts and on Saturday, when I was changing my oil, I noticed that the front bushing was already completely busted! Since the other two are now carrying the load, I would guess that they too are going (if not already) bad! This is with less then 25K on the car! OEM mounts must be a complete bunch of crapola! If my situation is common, then half the folks out there are running around with one or more busted motor mounts!

So, I have read many postings about getting some (I believe they are called Prothane) solid core racing bushings to replace the crappy OEM ones. Where is the best place to buy these? I understand that they can cause an increase in the amount of vibration felt in the car, but who cares? I am not going to put back in the crappy OEM ones and any vibration increase is most likely not that bad.

While I am at it, I guess I should replace the thrust strut too. I have no idea when/if it has ever been replaced, and the engine moves so easily, that my guess is that it is not doing to good a job holding my motor/tranny still when I pop that ol' clutch! I have heard that some of you guys replace the thrust strut with a solid shaft instead of a strut. What impact does that have on vibrations in the car, and if I go that route, where do I find one of these solid shaft alternates?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

you can make your own also with polyurethane. buy a tube of it for 6 dollars at homedepot or lowes and pack your oem mounts with it let it dry a week and stiff solid mounts. youll feel a huge difference. i can feel idle in my car now.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Using new urethane on an old engine mount is not the best method. You should fill new mounts, not old ones. The rubber in the old mounts is obviously worn old. Leaves a weak core to the mount. Semi-sold is a good term. Use brand new mounts if you plan to fill them

Inserts are a cheap way to go. Modern Performance has them.

Quick Reply: Where do I get stiffer motor mount inserts/ New thrust strut