1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil Leak Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
xxBeaudoinxx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak Problem

Alright once again another problem, this time a pesky oil leak. Its going thru like crazy, about 1 quart ever 20-30 miles. Car does not overheat so can i eliminate head gasket from the scenarios? I havent had a chance yet the last few days to jack it up since its been snowing. Tons of oil on the oil pan along with it spread across the underbody of the motor, possibly from wind? Someone please help me with some pointers, 1st time ever haveing this problem and not sure what im looking for. thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well just because your not over-heating does not mean it is not the head gasket. if your going through that much oil i would say the headgasket. it would leak right behind the head under the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
xxBeaudoinxx

Well i also have no oil coming from my exhaust, along with i had it tested for a head gasket problem about 3 months ago and it came back negative. the only oil i see is thick and fresh on the pan, from side to side under the body

Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well what i would do first is take it to a coin operated car wash and soak the engine bay down with tire cleaner from top and the bottom side side, prettymuch everywhere possable. Leave the engine running and dont worry about the electrical coil or anything like that. I have sprayed down mine plenty of times. then you can further localize where the leak is comming from.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that much of a leak (1qt per 20-30 miles) you have to have a really bad seal leak. The rear main seal or head gasket which is a notorious problem on 2.0 SOHC neon engines. The oil feed circuit for the head is in the driver side rear corner and dumps tons of oil down the back of the motor when it fails. But I also hear a lot about these motors puking rear main seals out.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Big Lars

check your cam seal behind the timing belt cam sprocket. mine failed and fresh oil would pour out about 2 minutes after starting the car. It's a big job cause you have to remove the timing belt but then you can replace that and the water pump while you are in there. just a thought

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Problem