1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Strange fuel problems 95 neon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
coppah37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i think i may have created a short somewhere i have not had a chance to look real close at it yet. But i did check for flow at the fuel rail and it doesnt seem to get much flow at all. The pump does not make a sound when you turn the key first but it does whine when the engine cranks and about 1-2 seconds AFTER you stop cranking it. Kinda like its working backwards????

Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If the fuel system is already at full pressure, such as you just tried to crank the car and then you try again, then it does not have to "re-prime" the system when the key goes from off to on and will not kick in.

Relieve the pressure at the test port in the fuel rail and then try it again. When you turn the key to on, It should have to kick on for just a second or two to get it back up to full pressure. If it does not, then you have either a fuel pump issue or a wiring issue, or both.

The pump may run for a second or two after you turn it off. This is done to make sure the system stays fully pressurized. Therefore, if you have the fuel hose at the rail disconnected when you do that, you may see this happen before the fuel system loses power and shuts off.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
coppah37

Ok so also possible pinched fuel line could cause this too? Sorry for all the questions and no updates tomorrow night im going to tackle the thing head on with all this info. I just havent had the time to the past couple days. I appreciate all your help.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

A pinched fuel line would restrict fuel, but not stop it - unless it was completely blocked - which you have already indicated is not the case because you see fuel coming out and/or see wet plugs. If you have a lack of getting enough fuel, then you should be getting error codes that indicate a lean situation on one or more banks. The car would sputter, stumble, and/or have no power, but would at least start. It may die easily if revved up, etc.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
coppah37

ok heres an update. i pulled the engine codes again just to see if anything changed. i got a PO340 (camshaft sensor circuit malfunction) PO118 (coolant temp sensor circuit high input) PO352/PO351 (ignition coil a and b circuit malfunction). I checked all the wires going to all these and they look good. i also double checked the wires on the back of the fuse panel and still nothing looks like its frayed or out of place. Any possible Solutions? also i saw no pinched fuel lines and the wires at the fuel pump look fine as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
coppah37

Okay and another update. I took every connector off and wiped it clean. Found that the crank sensor connector had some oil in it blew it out and wiped it off. Presto! the fuel pump kicked on. Car started ran for 8 seconds and died. Now i can get it started but it wont stay running for long and if i touch the gas it dies.Could it be the cam sensor after all? due to the codes and symptoms?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
blacksunshine05
Professional

Originally Posted by coppah37
Okay and another update. I took every connector off and wiped it clean. Found that the crank sensor connector had some oil in it blew it out and wiped it off. Presto! the fuel pump kicked on. Car started ran for 8 seconds and died. Now i can get it started but it wont stay running for long and if i touch the gas it dies.Could it be the cam sensor after all? due to the codes and symptoms?
I think it is the crank sensor. The code on the dash sometimes will show you cam when the crank sensor is the one that is bad. You cleaned it then it started. That is just my guess.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
coppah37

A final update. FIXED. it was the cam sensor. of course i had to rewire the damn plug on it but runs great now. Thanks for every bodys help!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Well thanks for posting the final solution. That helps everyone.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
SPEEDRACER70

hey guys i own a 95 neon 3 speed sohc and was wondering wht are some things i could do to gain mpgs and increase hp

Quick Reply: Strange fuel problems 95 neon