1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM
71fe5r/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank swap

Hello, I'm wondering if it's possible to swap a fuel tank/pump from a 98 neon into a 95. How difficult is it if so? Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by 71fe5r/t
Hello, I'm wondering if it's possible to swap a fuel tank/pump from a 98 neon into a 95. How difficult is it if so? Thanks
The actual job of replacing the fuel tank is not the issue. They are directly swappable. There are metal and plastic tanks, but if you are using the entire tank and fuel assembly from a 98 and putting it on the 95, then there is no fit issue for the tank, nor is there an issue with the fuel assembly not working on a plastic vs. metal tank since you are using the one that is already part of it.

One issue for a 98 fuel pump/filter/guage/etc on a 95 model is that the fuel filter on a 95 is external, not internal and it is the only year that this is true. The easiest way to get around that without mod'ing the plumbing, would just be to keep the existing external filter as an extra filter. You may want to go ahead and replace the 95 filter with a new one so that you are starting clean. If you want to go old school, you can just use some fuel hose to just run a straight connection from where the fuel filter was to the connection on the tank.

The biggest issue will be the wiring and connector differences. If you are getting this from a 98 model junker, then cut the wiring harness that leads to the tank from the 98 and that will simplify the process for you on the 95. Cut and splice and tape it twice.......

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I swapped mine, I just went to the dealership and bought the hose that bypasses the external fuel filter. The line goes from the fuel pump to the solid metal fuel line. I'm not sure of the part number though sorry but if you go to the dealer just ask to see the diagram for the 98's and it should show the line.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM
mirandaneon
Default aw man

i know im resurecting an old post. but im haveing an issue, and cant find it but this is close(even though exact oppossite)

did a dash harness swap from a 95-99(had a short and wanted 2connector style pcm) well my 95 harness has a connector in the PASS side kick panel that looks to go to the back(its not the door one, but looks like a 4 wire plug) and then the gray main connector that has 10+ wires under dash thats goes to the back.

i cant find out how to connect these 2 harnesses to my 99 dash harness im guessing there for FP and lights, any help would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Tank swap