1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Stalling when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 AM
bigredpaintbllr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalling when turning

Hello, new to the forums and new to neons. i have a 98 sohc car. The problem is when i'm turning corners, mostly right, it stalls out and dies. It does however start right back up when i go to start it. I tried giving it more gas when it did it and only made it sputter more and die more roughly. It did have codes when i bought it which were what i was hoping what that was stemming from but it did not help. So far i put in a new egr valve, cleaned egr tube, installed new throttle position sensor, and put in new iridium plugs. Those codes did go away but it still is dieing around the corners. Its not every turn but about 3 out of 10 which is just as annoying lol. i have found numerous people complaining of similar problems online with little answers. I thought originally it might be drag on from the power steering pump but it has no abnormal tension turning, lights not dim, fluid is full and looks clean. So hopefully someone else has also dealt with this and knows the answer. Thanks in advance for any help.

The following users liked this post:
Hunter Fry (04-18-2022)
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, because your problem seems to present itself when turning corners, it leads me to believe that you have a possible fuel pressure problem.

Does this problem present itself more often when your tank is almost empty - such as 1/4 tank or less? Does it happen at all when full or almost full? Does it happen when you are slowly turning or only when in steep or fast turns? If you are not sure, try to narrow it down as best you can.

If you have a fuel pump/regulator problem, it could be starving the system when you are in tight/fast turns because fuel is pulled/pushed away from the pickup causing a brief cavitation. You may also have a partially stopped up filter that prevents a full flow of fuel.

That is where I would begin my check.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 AM
bigredpaintbllr

What confused me about that is it does it at all fuel levels and it also only does it when i turn right. It also does it fast or slow. I have tried different turns trying to see if anything changed. ive found that if i come to a complete stop, then accelerate around the corner it seems better. If i try to make any kind of slowed turn or idled turn or anything like that it will start to break up. thanks for the reply btw.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

What model year do you have? If it is a 95, then the fuel filter is external and easy to replace to see if that is your problem. If internal (96 - on), then you have to either replace the whole schebang - at about $200 - or see if you can find someone who will sell you just the fuel filter and replace that part. The sad thing is that in order to replace any part, you have to drain and drop the tank and pull out the unit.

Since it does it at almost any time with any level of fuel, that is my first suspect - the filter. The second would be the fuel pressure regulator going wonky. Again, for 96 on model years, everything is internal to the tank. Only the 95 model had the external filter, but everything else is internal too.

You may try one other thing to see if you have a fuel pump relay problem. Swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay and see if there is any difference. If not, swap the auto-shutdown relay with the fuel pump relay and see if that makes any difference. You could have a problem with the two relays going wonky, but I doubt it.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
bigredpaintbllr

i still find it hard to believe that it is the filter... the filter doesn't know if i'm making a right turn or not... i think i'm losing you somewhere. it doesn't matter how i drive, how much fuel i have, etc etc. it doesn't do it anytime besides when i'm making a right turn. Does anyone else have any possible ideas I've seen people with similar situation on here says wiring harness. any ideas anyone?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
bigredpaintbllr

also, it is a 98 sohc as mentioned in my first post.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Yes there have been posts that have said that shorted wires in one or more of the O2 sensors, crank and cam sensor connectors/harnesses have caused this type of problem before.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
bigredpaintbllr

Ok. So i thought i would try to help any body with this problem in the future after hesitating about taking the wiring harness out, i had my codes read again and after changing crank sensor and egr valve they were still there and on top of it i had new codes of low voltage and vacuum leak. That is what set me over the edge and was making me lean toward the harness seeing as how random things all along it were showing up bad. First i went to the junk yard and pulled two wiring harness's off similar years for $30(both of which were tampered with) and picked which one i was gonna renew. Went through it checking all wires and cleaned and lubed all connectors. Cleaned everything up with new tape and plastic conduit and threw her back in last night and runs like a dream. No codes, no more stalling. If anyone wants more information on how i did this feel free to email me at bigredpaintbllr@aim.com .

Name:  216307_1754765146627_1163880085_31562500_7957777_n.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  30.1 KB
Name:  206622_1754764706616_1163880085_31562499_2868140_n.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 PM
zeke67.es

I have the same problem 98 dohc 5speed. only happens turning right as soon as steering wheel is straight it clears up any details would be helpful.

Quick Reply: Stalling when turning