1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Headlight Replacment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:33 AM
mooneyes13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Replacment Question

Need to replace foggy headlights on gf's car.

Anyone familiar w/ these EBAY headlights? Good? Bad?

Or Should I just look for OEM replacments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

Any info would help.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2005, 09:57 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Headlight Replacment Question

Those will fog up just the same over time. You can wet sand the stock ones back to almost normal, but that will only last so long.

Look at the DEPO (crystal clear, euro clear, whatever they go by) or TYC brand (same style), they should only run $120-150 or so. They are very reliable, easy to install, legal, and the difference in light output is simply amazing. I shudder knowing that people are driving their Neons around with the stockers on there at night...

Avoid all of the projector style lights. Poorly designed, terrible light output.

Best of luck!

Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
casper
Legend

Those look fine, I would get the actual glass ones, they won't fog.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:19 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Those aren't glass though. I'd pass.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:04 PM
matpro

I have the TYC setup....JUST BRILLIANT......Great out put....easy to install and adjust....Just great all around.....Got them on ebay from saltpepper88...check it out....

Old 07-20-2005, 04:18 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: matpro

I have the TYC setup....JUST BRILLIANT......Great out put....easy to install and adjust....Just great all around.....Got them on ebay from saltpepper88...check it out....
They are great, but it won't last they will fog and haze, it will take a year or so, it will happen. That the only reason I say go with glass, they will last longer.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Where are you finding glass stock replacements? Certainly not ebay that I've seen, and definitely not the dealer. Google search turned up squat as well. And where are you getting this (false) info that TYC's and Depo's fog up after a year?

My Depos have been on for almost two years now. No fogging, no hazing, and they were bought used after 2 years on another Neon.

Those are the TYC's, and the Depos are practically identical. I can snap off a pic of mine if y'all really really want. The Depos do not have a vent like the stockers do, so moisture can build up and fog from the inside. A drill bit, a little patience, and the stock vent tube fixes that. The TYC's have the vent.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

I have the Euro lighting for my fog lights, head lights and parking lights...I haven't had one problem with them fogging up and installation was easy. I got them from modernperformance.com...

Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

Where are you finding glass stock replacements? Certainly not ebay that I've seen, and definitely not the dealer. Google search turned up squat as well. And where are you getting this (false) info that TYC's and Depo's fog up after a year?

My Depos have been on for almost two years now. No fogging, no hazing, and they were bought used after 2 years on another Neon.

Those are the TYC's, and the Depos are practically identical. I can snap off a pic of mine if y'all really really want. The Depos do not have a vent like the stockers do, so moisture can build up and fog from the inside. A drill bit, a little patience, and the stock vent tube fixes that. The TYC's have the vent.
I have seen them on ebay as well as the local performace shop in my area. They will fog up just like the stock ones do, if may take more than a year, but it will happen, road dirt, sun, acid rain, all of that will eat away at the plastic and make them look like ****.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
tjts1

I figured it would be better to resurrect this thread instead of opening a new one. My headlights suffered brown foggy death. I didn't realize how bad it was until the other night when I almost ran over some poor kid on a bicycle because I couldn't see him. I have 20/18 vision. I've installed E-code headlights with 80/100W H4 bulbs with relays and heavy gauge wiring on both my Volvos so I know how good halogen headlights can be. Old DOT/SAE Volvo headlights turn brown just like the neon. But there doesn't seem to be any really excellent headlight options for the NEON. I know NEON E-codes exist. I've seen them on the "Chrysler Neons" in europe but nobody is importing these. The only one that seem to be getting any good reviews are TYC.

What kind of bulbs do the TYC headlights use? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. I hope its not the horrid 9004 bulbs.

I decided that I either fix the headlights or get rid of the car. Too bad old Volvos don't get 35mpg around town otherwise it would be an easy decision. I've started the ball rolling on an 5.75" round Hella H4 E-code conversion. I'm fabricating custom mounting brackets out of some old Mercedes parts. At this point I really don't care how good or bad the car looks. Its only a matter of safety. I can post pics later on if anyone is interested. For now I don't drive the neon at night.

On the plus side, I am happy to report this has been the most reliable car in our family. We bought it new in May 1995. 137k miles later and its still a lot of fun to drive. I guess the total lack of accesories has its upside. I have installed a passenger side mirror, 22mm front sway bar with some Volvo poly bushings, changed timing belt and water pump in the garage, added intermitant wipers and an instrment cluster with a tachometer. Anything that survives my highschool years has to be commended. Wish I could say the same for the 3 sets of front axles.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacment Question