1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1999 neon sunroof help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
jrpro190
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1999 neon sunroof help

sunroof is now stuck half way open, this is not beneficial to me in a rain or snow. It seems to have been inop. for several months but i was bored yesterday and tried it. It open partially and then stopped. Can anyone help? I don't think its the motor or cables. I think its a loose connection but I'm not sure where to begin to look. Any help would be appreciated.
After further diagnosis, I had a test light on the sunroof fuse while operating the switch and the fuse dimmed a little when I tried to open or close the sunroof, I believe this tells me there are no disconnected wires, it may be a motor issue?? I need to find the motor now.

Dont worry about replying to this post I have found the problem with no help to this forum thanks..

Last edited by jrpro190; 06-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the post below for some help.

Originally Posted by plymouth_neon_1998
If he pulls down the front part of his headliner (remove the A-pillar covers, sunvisors and catches, grab handle, sunroof trim welt) he can see the sunroof mechanism.

The ratcheting sound is the motor drive gear ratcheting over the 'gear' serrations in the drive cables.

It may be a stripped motor drive gear, or a loose motor mount, or stripped drive cables.

Several parts have been revised. The drive tube locators (at the front of the tracks, look like cast aluminum "J"'s), drive tubes, and the motor mount bracket have all been revised since the 1st gen sunroofs were designed. The new parts help correct the problems.

If he's lucky, he'll just find that the motor mount is loose. He needs to perform the motor align procedure (from the service manual) and reinstall it, torquing the motor bolts down to a reasonable torque.

If not, he'll need to think about replacing parts. If he's doing this, and the motor drive gear looks intact (not worn down), then he should order and replace:

Drive cables (drivers/passenger sides)
Drive tube locators (drivers/passenger sides)
Motor mount bracket (one)
Motor mount screws (three, I believe)

That's all he should need if the motor and the tracks are in good shape. Have him examine the connection/interface between the drive cable and the sunroof track/slider (he'll have to remove the glass and have the sunroof in a "closed" position to look at this). The interface can weaken and break--it's a composite, not metal--and need replacment. If it is broken but not broken off, the sunroof still works, but you overstress the other side's components.

The dealer will likely not want to sell you individual parts. If that is the case, they will try to sell you the whole sunroof for about $700. Don't do it. Call Forum dodge, speak to Bob Kise, and hopefully he'll be able to get the parts for you. If that doesn't work, then all I can offer you is the lead that the sunroofs are made for DaimlerChrysler by Inalfa.

JD

Quick Reply: 1999 neon sunroof help