1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
ohioguru
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not starting

first thing was a dead battery. so a new battery. Still no start, starter is also less than a week old.(warrenty). still no start. so i replaced the relay. nothing. but when i hit the key i hear the fuel pump, and the relay click, but no turn over or starter sounds. Bc i can hear the relay id assume thats working. Whats left? its a manual sohc 96 neon. Help

Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

oh and if i bump start it it will run perfect. great idle runs smooth and no warning lights of any type

Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

1) You could be having a problem with the switch on your column.

2) You could have a grounding problem somewhere in the circuit.

3) Double check the connectors on the battery. Sometimes if they get a little loose/corroded, you can have this problem.

4) Have you tried (and I only do this as a last resort) switching the key to on and jumping the poles at the selenoid to see if it will turn over and crank that way? If it won't, then have the starter checked even though it is only two weeks old. I had a bad crank sensor that was replaced and it went bad less then 6 weeks later. I pulled my hair out thinking it couldn't be that....and it was.

If it does crank (or at least it turns over and tries), then you have a wiring/circuit issue.

Quick Reply: not starting