1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon brake pedal is rock hard and the car is hard to stop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM
dukester544600
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 neon brake pedal is rock hard and the car is hard to stop!

Sometimes on my 98 neon after driving for a while the brakes would start to smell like they were burning pretty bad, got out and checked and found that the left front brake was where the smell was coming from. So I removed the front wheels and found that the right front pads were worn down to nothing and left side was at about 75% remaining. I removed the calipers and both were very hard push back in. I decided to replace the front calipers, pads and rotors. After replacing everything and bleeding the system it felt ok. I drove it for about 5 mins and the pedal feels very hard but the car won’t stop unless I press it as hard as I can. Any ideas of what the problem might be? I used economy pads and rotors and I am wondering if they could be the problem.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Neon-Jeep-Dart

no, economy pads and rotors are not the problem. they are not the best choice but the car should still have brakes. I would recommend to pull the brake line one at a time from the calipers and make sure when the pedal is pressed that you get pressure from the brake line but you will have to bleed the system again. if you get pressure then the caliper might be bad. if not look up stream, brake lines, or master cylinder. hope this helps.. any questions let me know... im a good brainstormer

Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 PM
dukester544600

When I bled the brakes after changing the calipers I feel like I was not getting a sufficient amount of fluid when I was bleeding them. I believe that I need to look into replacing the flex lines.

Quick Reply: 98 neon brake pedal is rock hard and the car is hard to stop!