1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dodge neon heating problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM
eyedlhandz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge neon heating problems

my 97 neon heater stopped blowing. The car gets warm, but that takes much longer than it used to. Then when I try to turn the heat on, nothing happens, on any of the heat levels low to high. I checked the fuses, and the fuse was blown. I replaced it, and tried again. Still nothing until i got up to the high setting, and the fuse blew. Tried once more, and the same result. Would this be the blower motor? Blower motor resistor?

Any advice would be greatly apprecited. Its cccold these days!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedlhandz
my 97 neon heater stopped blowing. The car gets warm, but that takes much longer than it used to. Then when I try to turn the heat on, nothing happens, on any of the heat levels low to high. I checked the fuses, and the fuse was blown. I replaced it, and tried again. Still nothing until i got up to the high setting, and the fuse blew. Tried once more, and the same result. Would this be the blower motor? Blower motor resistor?

Any advice would be greatly apprecited. Its cccold these days!

1) Check the thermostat. It may be stuck open. If it sticks open, cold fluids will make the engine take longer to get to the proper operating temperature. If the car has not had the thermostat replaced for a long time (or 100K+ miles) then replacing it is not a bad idea anyway. Easy to do and cheap.

2) Your heater core may be blocked up with glop. Disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall and back flush your heater core. Free and a good thing to do if the radiator fluid has not been regularly flushed/changed.

3) Your cables to the heat selector may not be fully closing the valve. Check to make sure that your clips that hold the cables secure have not popped off on the plastic control mechanism in your dash allowing the cable to move instead of the wire inside it. That, or it may be in a bind and not fully closing.

4) If the blower only blows the fuse on high, then you probably do have an issue with the motor pulling too much current on that setting. If it blows on other settings, then I would suspect the wiring/connections. The blower motor is cheap to replace with a new one, and even cheaper if you find a good used one.

Quick Reply: Dodge neon heating problems