1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dash gage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Megaputz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's alive!

Went to the junk yard and got a replacement head to salvage some of the rocker arms. It came with an OEM exhaust manifold too which was great cus my aftermarket one had cracks in it. That and I noticed that the O2 sensor was only really reading 1 of the 4 cylinders. Wouldn't that effect the ECM?

The tensioner was completely shot. The bearings had popped out when I hit the bump and the outer round steel part was chattering around the inner plastic race. The hydraulic tensioner was shot too. The piston was only sticking out less than 1/2". Did away with hydrolic tensioner and installed a mechanical tensioner and bought a inner/outer timing cover from the salvage yard. Clutch looks great too

New head gasket, front/rear camshaft seals, water pump, timing belt, valve cover gasket kit, tensioner, front crankshaft seal, new oil pump, new oil pump screen, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, new bushings for shifter and clutch, exhaust manifold flange bolts, doughnut, changed oil/antifreeze again. Replaced front motor mount. Sanded and painted engine compartment and replaced the missing splash guards. Radio, speakers and door panels installed.... invested another $700... around $1,700+ total and the only work I didn't/couldn't do myself was the pressing in of the front wheel bearing.
Own her free and clear, runs like a top. All I care about.

Car purrs like a kitten. Not even a tick! Maybe another 100k unless the frame/body rot but I can weld. Only sound I hear now is thumping from muffler when I hit bumps. OEM exhaust manifold is about a bit shorter than aftermarket so I have to move the muffler mounts to compensate.

Love the car! It was such a pleasure to work on and she is such a joy to drive.
Still plan on painting the body and repairing some of the minor rust spots on the rocker panels and on the trunk or maybe replacing the trunk altogether.

Also have to pull gas tank and either patch or replace... noticed a small leak from the top last time I filled fuel tank to tippy top of tank. Where fuel tank is touching the body.

Only put about 30 miles on the car today... babying her, but no leaks thus far. Hoping MPH will be good and I can go till next spring without any major issues. Still want to replace the piston rings but that's not in the budget and it's not necessary at this point. Neither was the oil pump but so much on that engine is original... I couldn't risk something happening.

SO HAPPY!!!

Last edited by Megaputz; 03-22-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Quick Reply: Dash gage