1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 neon RT. Delayed Start/ Fuel Pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Charles Keith Stephenson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 neon RT. Delayed Start/ Fuel Pump fuse

I've read on here about several different problems very similar to mine, but none quite described as such. So here is my issue.

I bought the car used, and it has been very "Jerry Rigged" I don't have the time or money to have the car completely rewired, as I should do.

Recently, the car delays on starting, it turns over for 5-15 seconds to the point that the batter starts to die off and the gauges start to twitch. Eventually the car does start and the issue does not persist if I turn off the car for less than one hour and start it again, it works fine. However, the other day my car wouldn't start at all. It acted like it wasn't firing, so I replaced the wires and plugs as they were old and I figured that was the issue. It wasn't and I kept searching for answers.

It was the fuel pump fuse, behind the battery. I replaced this and it started and ran fine for about 5 days, now the car is delaying once again on starting.

I have read that it may not be the fuel pump, but wiring shorting or something similar. O2 wiring, ASD, many different things. A mechanic friend of mine said it was more than likely the fuel pump though and that it was probably overheating and pulling to hard and was burning the fuse. After reading the posts on here about similar issues, I figured I'd ask, before I spent ~200 bucks plus labor on this.

Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to say u need a fuel pump. It is not holding pressure.
try this, cycle the key like 3 times from Off to ON before u start the car slowly. If it starts right da way after few key cycle, you need a fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 1998 neon RT. Delayed Start/ Fuel Pump fuse