1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

fresh battery, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
1tonpig
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at the positive cable going to starter if its not corroded or bad, take a hammer and tap on starter its possible the stator has a bad wire and tapping the starter with a hammer will sometimes move it past bad spot, if it starts you have a bad starter. if that works you have 2 choices change starter or carry a hammer and whenever stator ends up on bad spot you have to climb under car and tap starter

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
yokotaashi
Amateur

If your key is in the ignition you can jump the starter to the solenoid using the contacts on the top. Once upon a time I had the same problem after a rebuild and eventually ended up finding a ground on the cross bar I had knocked loose. Apparently the computer could tell that it was missing!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
16Vguy

yea last time I looked at it, it was dark out. I kinda just put it aside even though its important to me. luckily its been nice out for a while now and work isnt that far away so ive been using pedal power. when I got back home i gotta go to the car and see whats up. what you guys said in the last few post are what ive been thinking of i just havent gotten around to it. wow has it been that long?! I guess when your always driving people around it comes back to you when you dont have a car......for a while thanks guys

Quick Reply: fresh battery, no start.