1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What the heck happened to my car?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM
jficarra3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What the heck happened to my car?!?!

About a year ago I bought a 95 highline sohc atx, it ran good for about 6 months and it used about a quart of oil every 1-2 months. At about the 8 month mark the engine started to make a rattling or worn out/dry bearing sound from inside the engine. I took it to a local guy that everyone in town uses for their smal cars. The first two times I took it to him I couldn't get it to make the noise, third times the charm! I told him to look at it at his convenience as I have a truck to drive too. About three weeks go by and I finally hear from this guy and he says the problem is deep and it sounds like a rod or bearing. He advised me to get another engine and swap it. I get in the car and leave and about 8 blocks down the road you can see the car losing power (Batt's new btw). Dash dims, radio quits working, etc... I get it home and charge it, take it to work and back and on the second day to work it does the same thing. This time I put a long deep charged on it and now I won't leave the house with it b/c I don't trust it. Since I have gotten it back from this guy it is now throwing codes 47, 41, 25, and 43. The car wasn't throwing any codes before I took it to this guy. I have asked many people about this guys work and no one has said a bad thing about him. Now with gas prices on the rise I can't afford to take my DIESEL truck back and forth to work. Does anyone have any experience with these codes and troubleshooting them or at least a first place for me to look or least expensive thing to fix first? I know multipule codes can be thrown form one problem so I'm lost at this point.

Batt resting is 12.13 Volts, car running it reads the same. Think it should read 13-15 volts.

HAYNES:
Code 47***~Charging system voltgage too low. Battery voltage sense input below target charging voltage during engine operation and no significant change in voltage detected during active test of alternator output.
Code 41***~Problem with the charging system. An open or shorted condition detected in the generator field control circuit.
Code 25**~Idle Air Control (IAC) valve circuits. A shorted condition is detected in one or more of the IAC valve circuits. Or a vacuum leak is detected.
Code 43**~Multiple cylinder missfire detected. Peak primary circuit not achieved with the maximum dwell time.
** = Check Engine Light
*** = Charge System Light

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
92_4x4
Amateur

new battery or not if it wont charge it will die slowly. do this, put a volt gauge across your battery with car shut off. it should be 12.6v minimum if fully charged. if its more thats what they call a surface charge and can go up to 15.4v.

next start the car and see if with car running it has a minimum of 13v. if your alternator is working it should put out 13v minimum but more like 14.5v if your voltage does not increase after you start the car it more than likely needs a new alternator.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 AM
92_4x4
Amateur

and a bad alternator will cause the battery to slowly die which is why you had to recharge it. and with a weak battery it can throw multiple codes because of they systems not getting correct signals due to the low voltage.

Quick Reply: What the heck happened to my car?!?!